Sr. Manufacturing Engineer - Automation
In our pursuit to create a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, GM's global manufacturing engineering team is challenging the limits on what is possible and embracing agility as it reimagines how to build the next generation of vehicles. Our diverse team of engineers and machinists play a crucial role in transforming our facilities through implementing the adoption of ground-breaking technologies.
Hybrid: Position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time, but the general expectation is that the employee be onsite an average of three (3) days each week.
In this role your responsibilities will be of a technical nature with decisions made within the limits of general practices, policies, and standards. Your work will involve complex manufacturing problems including the need to root cause and follow issues to resolve. Creativity, initiative, and independent judgement are required to successfully accomplish job duties. Decisions are made within the limits of general procedures and specifications.
What You'll Do (Responsibilities):
- Direct the design, development, and/or improvement of manufacturing processes for assigned area
- Analyze and implement product or machinery designs for the best method for manufacturing processes
- Propose and evaluate the processes for equipment in assigned area
- Provide direction to small group of technical employees
- Evaluate or monitor expenditures for processes and/or equipment
- Interpret product math data and specifications to develop tools and equipment necessary to support the manufacturing process
- Propose and evaluate process, tool, and equipment designs
- Review and approve tool designs, release tools to build source, and oversee tool build & installation as required to meet business needs
- Develop and oversee production of build process documentation to be used on the shop floor
- Interact with design and product engineering activities to determine manufacturing feasibility of product designs
- Provide technical direction to support personnel, maintenance, and tool design & build suppliers
- Occasional oversight of other engineers or engineering support personnel to accomplish specific departmental and project objectives as necessary
Your Skills and Abilities (Required Qualifications):
- Engineering degree or equivalent relevant education & training
- Demonstrated relevant experience with similar equipment & tools - five or more years preferred
- Strong understanding of automotive assembly processes and related tools & equipment
- Manufacturing engineering assignments with successful individual & strong team-based achievements
- Strong communication skills with ability to clearly communicate complex subject matters
- High level of interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of direction
- Ability to exercise independent judgement, creativity, and initiative
- Ability to handle simultaneous assignments and competing priorities in complex work environment
- Ability to travel around 50% of the time (domestic and international)
- Ability to work overtime and off-shift as needed
What Can Give You a Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications):
- Understanding of Global Vehicle Development Process (GVDP)
- GMS experience
- Understanding of GM Body in White (BIW) standards
GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being-at work and at home-so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.