Senior Software Engineer, backend
Come for the mission. Stay for the experience.
Let’s keep things simple: we are an unbelievably talented, hard-working, and compassionate team driving towards a mission that impacts every single one of us - even you!
Healthcare benefits are complex, underutilized and a mystery for most users. We’re removing that complexity. Now more than ever, employers are adding value to their employees’ benefits like telemedicine and mental health services. HealthJoy’s industry-changing tech platform consolidates those benefits into a simplified benefits experience, saving users time and money.
With over $100M in fundraising to date, and the successful closing of our recent Series D, HealthJoy has garnered workplace awards for Inc.’s Fastest Growing Startups and Built In Chicago’s Best Places to Work while growing globally to nearly 400 team members. We’re continuing down the path of high growth and high impact, and this role is a key member of the Marketing Team making that happen.
We are looking for an ambitious senior software engineer with a deep desire to learn and develop software that improves people’s lives. If you’re passionate about developing the best software and collaborating with other developers to do so, then we want to hear from you!
You will enhance our SaaS solution, scale highly distributed systems, and continuously improve our engineering practices. You will get to work on the latest software practices and technologies such as microservices architecture, cloud design patterns, automated CI/CD pipeline, automated and orchestrated Dockerized delivery, and AWS platform. Above all, your work will impact people’s interactions with the healthcare system.
- Lead and collaborate architectural decisions and design best practices
- Envision, build and implement new features into the HealthJoy platform
- Collaborate with engineering and product team members to improve quality and velocity
- Write high quality code in Python language that is easy to maintain and test
- Creating a scalable solution to serve our growing user base
- Coach the team on development and testing best practices
- Lead troubleshooting of critical production incidents and other customer issues in Production, towards resolution and drive continuous improvement of code quality and technology adaptations
- Exhibit accountability at both a personal and team level
- 5+ years experience building and shipping scalable applications in Python
- Track record of developing on backend frameworks such as Asyncio, FastAPI, Flask, SQL Alchemy, or equivalent
- Experience in a CI/CD pipeline
- Experience working in a microservices architecture
- At ease in the AWS ecosystem
- Experience participating in the architecture and design of new and existing products
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and share knowledge with others
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Insatiable curiosity to learn new software principles, technologies, and tools
- Passionate in collaborating with developers and testers; distributed team experience will be a plus
Job Level: 40
Base Compensation Range for Job Level: $140,000 - 160,000 Annually
The cash compensation above includes base salary only. Certain roles are eligible for additional cash incentives such as commission, annual bonus targets, overtime pay or other variable incentives.
HealthJoy maintains a comprehensive strategy to determine rewarding and competitive packages for individual compensation for new hires, internal promotions and internal job changes. This strategy is based on several factors unique to each individual, including: 1) the skills, experience and qualifications of the individual; 2) the responsibilities and demands of the role; 3) analysis of external market data; and 4) company budget and financial performance.
HealthJoy is a remote-first employer. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled.
At HealthJoy, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role, and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each role and individual.
In addition to cash compensation, HealthJoy offers a rich “Total Rewards” package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and vision insurance packages
- HSA contribution match
- Stock options for eligible roles
- 401k match
- Paid parental leave
- Company sponsored Short Term and Long Term Disability coverage
- Flexible PTO
Commitment to Equal Pay
At HealthJoy, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone has the opportunity to succeed and thrive.
We believe that everyone should be paid based on their qualifications, experience, and the work that they do, and not on their gender, race, or any other personal characteristic. Our compensation practices are essential to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture where we value the contributions of all our employees.
We conduct thorough annual reviews of employee pay and our pay practices to ensure we reward the right behaviors and are providing equal pay for equal work.
Additionally, we assess the external market and internal equity across like roles. As part of our regular review of pay practices, HealthJoy examines employee pay for potential disparities between persons of different genders, races and ethnicities that are not explainable by objective factors such as performance, experience level, credentials, or location, and are committed to correcting any issues and reviewing practices from unintended outcomes.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
HealthJoy is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law.
Don’t meet every single requirement? We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates, so please don’t hesitate to apply — we’d love to hear from you. HealthJoy is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role and HealthJoy, we encourage you to apply. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.