Security Project Manager at M1 (Chicago, IL)
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our competitors.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $6 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What You'll Do
The Project Manager will provide support for cybersecurity projects and programs focusing on security risk reduction efforts aimed at helping M1 improve our security posture. The candidate will bring their project management experience to interact daily with our DevOps/SRE and Product engineering teams and drive project scope, timelines, resources, and deliverables while also proposing new approaches to increasing shared service usage and adoption and helping build capacity.
- Manage and execute multiple cybersecurity-related projects, including tool implementation, varying in scope and complexity and develop and execute action plans for meeting security priorities
- Successfully apply broad cybersecurity background to operational, risk management, strategic, and programmatic support for a wide range of cybersecurity initiatives
- Develop project planning documents and general project management coordination activities in agile environment
- Lead project x-team members and taskings based on daily interaction and guidance from client staff and leadership and effectively delegate responsibilities to team members
- Creating thorough and accurate reports and providing status updates on projects to leadership to ensure project teams are adequately resourced based on needs and goals and long-term mission objectives
- Analyze and translate operational and technical requirements and considerations into inputs for strategic and policy efforts and initiatives to identify findings and develop recommendations
- Support the development of written and presentation work products including project management documentation, operational and strategic plans, requirements analyses, data collections and dashboarding tools
- Perform activities related to deliverable reviews, quality control checks, knowledge management, collection and adjudication of comments, after-action reviews
- Excellent written and oral communication skills - must be comfortable with public speaking and developing relationships with clients across all levels of the organizations
- Leadership – ability to oversee and coordinate tasks as well as motivate and encourage the team
- Collaboration – Work with the team. Develop and nurture relationships with cross functional teams.
- Communication – both oral and in writing ability to convey what needs to be done and what has been done concisely
- Time management – can meet deadlines. Doesn’t let perfection get in the way of good and finishing work
- Organization – can have multiple things going on at once without confusion for themselves or the team
- Problem solving – when things go awry, understand the inputs and come up with innovative ways to make things work
- Adaptability – sometimes project management is an amorphous blob. We still need to get things done.
- Risk Management – can you foresee the risks that a project might face and plan for them so that if they become issues decisions are made more easily?
- Proven track record of positively contributing to a collaborative team in a remote environment
- Entrepreneurial spirit, self-motivated, growth-minded
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement) and five Employee Resource Groups (Mental Health, Pride, Black, Latinx, and Women at M1) , M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym