A Risk Control Consulting Director – Accountants is an experienced expert in risk management and loss prevention, supporting the Accountants Professional Liability Line of Business. It is an individual contributor role responsible for the delivery consulting services to insured CPA firms to help CPA firms mitigate their risk of a professional liability claim. The professional will provide advice and recommendations to owners and leaders of CPA firms related to the firm's delivery of professional services to their clients. The professional will also develop and deliver training both virtually and in-person, author articles for industry publications, including the Journal of Accountancy , and maintain existing risk management resources. The professional will also collaborate with team members, internal and external business partners to identify and assess emerging risk issues and develop products and services to help address emerging risks.
CNA is the endorsed underwriter of the AICPA Professional Liability Insurance Program and the largest insurer of CPA firms globally. CNA is one of the largest Commercial insurance companies in the country, headquartered in Chicago with offices across the USA. Globally CNA has over 6,000 employees worldwide and the ability to underwrite and offer our products in over 200 countries.
CNA offers competitive salaries and annual bonuses, paid time off (minimum of 20-24 vacation days, 8 sick days and 10 paid company holidays for full-time employees), a comprehensive benefits package including medical/dental/vision insurance and an industry leading 401K plan with a generous automatic company contribution as well as additional matching opportunities on employee contributions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Function as a risk management content expert in the applicable line of business, acting as a direct provider of risk management services including but not limited to:
- Authoring risk management materials, including articles and presentations;
- Providing consulting advice to policyholders;
- Developing educational materials for use by CNA policyholders and internal and external business partners through analysis of claim experience and changes in law, regulation, professional standards, and economic conditions affecting the accounting profession;
- Presenting to both internal and external CNA clients and policyholders, both virtually and in-person; and
- Delivering applicable training.
- As needed, participate with underwriting and other CNA personnel in new product development, including development of policy forms, endorsements, underwriting applications, and risk management materials related to the introduction of new or enhancement of existing products.
- Maintain technical knowledge of the delivery of financial statement services, including external audit, review, and compilation services, under professional standards issued by the AICPA, PCAOB, and/or other authorities governing the public accounting profession.
- Maintain working knowledge of the coverage afforded under the product and the types of claims and lawsuits presented under these policies.
- Maintain a working knowledge of current laws, regulations, and professional standards applicable to CPAs engaged in the practice of public accountancy.
- Maintain working knowledge of risk management practices recommended for use by CPAs engaged in the practice of public accountancy to prevent accounting malpractice claims and lawsuits.
- Effectively collaborate with CNA underwriting, claim, and actuarial staff, as well as CNA's marketing and distribution partners, to foster a team approach to conducting business.
- Periodically conduct competitive analyses of risk management services offered in the noted line of business.
- May perform additional duties as assigned.
Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. The highest level of technical and product specific expertise, risk control evaluation and assessment skills and knowledge of insurance and risk control principles, practices and procedures.
2. Excellent communication (oral, written and presentation), negotiation, and marketing skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of internal and external business partners.
3. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects.
4. Ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues.
5. Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
6. Ability to achieve results by taking a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
7. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
8. Ability and willingness to travel.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designation (CPA) required.
2. Typically a minimum seven of years of relevant professional or risk management experience with proven track record of results.