Zipline uses autonomous aircraft to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.About You and The Role
Are you interested in being at the forefront of developing new infrastructure hardware products, the first of its kind to deploy to cities and countries around the world? Do you want to move fast, ship hardware and help create a new modality for on-demand logistics? Here at Zipline your work is intended for the field that our customers will depend on daily. If you want to journey with us as a structural engineer on our product development team working to bring new technology and hardware to light, read on!What You'll Do
We are developing a ubiquitous infrastructure solution for drone-based logistics akin to what the solar industry has achieved with solar panels deployed worldwide. This role is part of the core hardware development team engineering these products. You will be a key expert on external authority having jurisdictions and as a member of our core design team, create designs that will enable practical scale in the face of diverse permitting and site-to-site variability. Our goal is to develop elegant integration solutions that are modular, cost effective, and adaptable to both new and existing building structures and sites worldwide for a variety of shipper customers.
- Work as a part of the design and engineering team to influence and develop requirements and product architecture early in the product development phases that can be rapidly and widely deployed with minimal permitting
- Champion the voice of Zipline civil/structural engineering and develop early strategy playbook for simplifying approvals and permitting through cities and counties in different jurisdictions
- Meetings with cities / planning / entitlement to gather critical early stage feedback and deliver a strategy that can apply to >90% of all jurisdictions within the US
- Conduct site surveys and research of building types, compositions, and limitations of different locations within the US and internationally - characterize site locations to a minimum number of configurations we design for
- Use your practical knowledge of IBC or CBC to perform structural sizing calculations
- Create, develop, and achieve approval for site plans drawing packages for submittal to authority having jurisdictions
- Prepare engineering studies, budget estimates, project timelines and reports
- Send RFQs, vet, and negotiate work with external design and build contractors to achieve tight schedules and budgets
- Completed examples of deployed projects and demonstrated experience working with developers and general contractors in the preconstruction phase
- Prior design experience with creating civil and/or structural design packages including drawings and calculations approved within your state of PE license
- Prior project management experience getting city/county approvals for project approval and permitting
- Experience budgeting and sizing project costs for early project developments
- Expected to periodically travel to conduct customer and site visits
- Must be eligible to work in the US
- Must be willing to relocate to Bay Area CA region
Nice to Have
- Professional Engineer (PE) in Civil / Structural Engineering a big plus
- Comfortable using 3D and 2D CAD packages
- Familiarity with structures design including - weldments, mechanical fastening
- Prior experience working electrical engineering in novel complex infrastructure projects
What Else You Need To Know
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
If you’d like to learn more about Zipline and our teams, feel free to check out our Instagram, one of our Reddit AMA’s, or our website!