Sr. Technical Program Manager II- Uber Maps at Uber
About the Role
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role in executing high-impact company-wide initiatives and continuously improving processes to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations.
TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company, thrive in a dynamic work environment and are able to juggle and prioritize multiple projects with ease. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with partners at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with compassion and integrity. TPM work involves the following:
- Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives. Collaborate with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and handle resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project partners. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve bold goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, handle issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing challenging priorities.
- Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Help manage the cross-functional planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key partners to develop concepts for critical initiatives, and developing those into detailed program/project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning, and hiring goals).
- Continuously improve and scale the organization. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and standard methodologies that can be adopted throughout the organization. Improve product development and delivery. Mentor project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
- Minimum of 7 years experience as a Technical Program Manager or engineering manager in a software, SaaS, or systems development environment.
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges, and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you.
- Experienced in project management. Familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them were best suited.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Strong organizational skills to lead multiple, challenging priorities simultaneously, without losing sight of the highest priority items.
- Strong technical, analytical, and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive decisions.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.