Calibrate’s mission is to change the way the world treats weight. We’re defining a new category in metabolic health that mirrors what the research shows—that weight reflects our biology, not our willpower. Our program was designed by world leaders in obesity and nutrition science to improve metabolic health and drive long-term weight loss that’s impactful, realistic, and sustainable.
Obesity is America’s underlying pandemic and largest category of chronic disease, and Calibrate is closing the gap in care for 175mm adults in a $600bn market where we spend millions of dollars each year and do not lose millions of pounds.
To bring Calibrate to everyone who needs it, we’re building the first telemedicine business within the healthcare ecosystem, aligning incentives for consumers, doctors, insurers, and pharmaceutical companies. We’ve built a proprietary Vertical Pharmacy Engine to connect our members to the most efficient path to insurance coverage, paving the way for a new model of chronic disease care.
Calibrate’s first product, the One-Year Metabolic Reset, brings decades of clinical research directly to consumers through a virtual program combining FDA-approved prescription medication with intensive lifestyle intervention. The 52-week structured program includes biweekly 1:1 video coaching and curriculum that spans classes, recipes, workouts, and more. A purpose-built app enables daily tracking of food, energy level, weight, and bi-weekly goals and helps members interact with their Coaching and Medical teams, while a members’ group and events calendar create additional opportunities to tap into the Calibrate community.
Calibrate’s recently launched Masters Program keeps members engaged and supported in their metabolic health beyond their first year with the same evidence-based approach that defines Calibrate’s One-Year Metabolic Reset, at a lower cost. The result is a program that sustains and builds on members’ results with improved whole-body health that enables them to embrace a new day-to-day.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Calibrate is seeking a seasoned communications leader to oversee our Communications team. You’ll join a rapidly expanding and highly collaborative marketing team, building out a best-in-class team of your own , at a pivotal moment in Calibrate’s growth. Reporting to our VP of Brand and Product Marketing, and collaborating closely with our Founder & CEO, Chief Marketing Officer, as well as board directors and advisors, this position is highly visible both internally and externally. You’ll work cross-functionally with various teams and senior leadership to effectively cement Calibrate as a category-creating business that’s changing the way the world treats weight. Communications at Calibrate spans three primary verticals: corporate communications, to position Calibrate within the healthcare industry; consumer press, including influencer marketing; and internal communications to build our team culture and operating system as we scale.
This leader will become an expert in the complexities of wraparound platforms that treat chronic conditions, and connect with the unmet needs of the 9 out of 10 Americans in poor metabolic health. And they’ll enthusiastically and successfully merge the two into a multi-pronged, cohesive corporate and consumer message––the breaks through the noise.
- Together with leadership team stakeholders, be the author of and accountable for shaping the business and consumer narrative of Calibrate as we pioneer a new category and become a household name
- Architect and execute our external corporate and consumer communications strategy, aligning our goals with marketing and business objectives––both near- and long-term––to achieve growth and awareness metrics
- Establish Calibrate as a known consumer brand in U.S. households via earned media, influencer engagement, and awareness building
- Partner closely with highly-engaged Founder & CEO on corporate communications strategy and newsroom outreach
- Together with our leadership team, spearhead internal communications for one of the fastest-growing telehealth startups on record with a fully distributed team across the U.S.
- Elevate our Founder & CEO as well as our leadership team profiles and establish thought leadership within their respective verticals
- Recruit and scale a best-in-class team and roster of agencies in support of all three verticals: corporate, consumer, and internal communications
- Collaborate closely with your peers across the marketing team to bring integrated, multichannel marketing campaigns to life, and create newsworthy positioning that generates press
- Own, develop, and iterate corporate and consumer messaging roadmap, identifying opportunities to cement Calibrate as the creator of the metabolic health category and leveraging business trends and cultural moments
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
- 15+ years experience in media relations and communications with an emphasis on category creation or expansion, thought leadership, and generating earned media for a consumer brand
- Have overseen corporate communications strategy and rollout during pivotal moments of business growth, including rapid response and reactive communications
- Established and substantive relationships with editors and reporters across business and consumer press as well as broadcast television
- A track record of quickly retaining and translating complex topics, research, and business functions into succinct and compelling headlines
- An exceptional communicator, both verbally and in writing, with experience authoring internal strategies as well as public-facing communications, including, blog posts, FAQs, scripts, etc.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment, able to efficiently make an impact on initiatives big and small amid competing priorities
- An enthusiastic problem-solver who’s optimistic and enjoys partnering with a team to achieve shared goals
- Preferred experience in highly regulated sectors, and interest in the US healthcare system
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
At Calibrate, we’re committed to our vision of putting our members and our teammates in control of their health. Some of our benefits include:
- Competitive salary with opportunity for equity in an early stage, high growth business
- Generous paid time off, including an all-company holiday over Thanksgiving week
- Calibrate-funded health benefits (medical, dental, vision) - starting at zero cost to you
- One Medical membership and Teladoc virtual care
- Fertility, gynecology, and wellness services through Kindbody
- Therapy on your time with a free year of Talkspace membership
- Health advocacy and assistance services through Health Advocate
- Commuter benefits, ClassPass memberships, and gym memberships for post-pandemic life
- Remote team with a headquarters in NYC
- Competitive Paid Parental Leave for parents
ABOUT OUR TEAM
Calibrate launched Summer 2020, and in 18 months has raised $127.6mm in funding from leading healthcare and consumer investors, including Founders Fund, Tiger Global, Forerunner Ventures, Threshold Ventures, Optum Ventures, and Redesign Health. Our team helped build businesses at the intersection of technology, consumer, and healthcare, including Athenahealth, Capsule, Flatiron Health, Harry’s, One Medical, Galileo, PillPack, Rent the Runway, and more. Our Clinical Advisors include Donna Ryan, the past President of the World Obesity Federation, and Darriush Mozafarrian, cardiologist and Dean at the Tufts Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy.
Since launch, Calibrate has been recognized by the following publications and organizations for our mission to change the way the world treats weight:
- Fast Company’s 2022 World Changing Ideas Awards
- The World Economic Forum’s 2021 TechPioneers
- NYC Health Business Leaders on the NYC Digital Health 100
Calibrate is committed to bringing together people from different backgrounds and perspectives to deliver real results for our members.
We’re in it together: We have an audacious mission, and we’re building a lot of things for the first time — from the first DTC pharma business within the healthcare ecosystem to the data infrastructure for providing real-world evidence in the largest category of chronic disease. It takes superpowers to build something simple and intuitive within the complex healthcare market, so we identify and work as a team from our individual points of strength. Not everyone has to be good at everything, but we know that when we harness what we’re each great at, we’re unstoppable.
Small wins create big wins: We ground every experience in optimism, recognizing and celebrating successes along the way. We break projects down into smaller components. And we focus on where we have momentum. We always plan for larger goals with the knowledge that our plans will evolve as we achieve smaller milestones.
You’re in control: While we’re headquartered in New York, we don’t let location stand in the way of the best talent — and from coaches to engineers, many of us are fully remote. Our business is multi-faceted, so each Calibrater is hired to be an expert in their piece of it — in control of their own initiatives, in control of their own impact, and in control of driving their own (real) results.
Real results matter: We’re obsessed with outcomes because when our members win, we win, and the data proves that we’ve built the best metabolic health program on the market. We’re purposeful, optimistic, and relentlessly confident that we can solve the biggest medical issue of the 21st century.
Calibrate is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all team members. To achieve our mission of changing the way the world treats weight, we are building an environment where every Calibrater can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do the best work of their careers. We value diversity and recruit, hire, and promote individuals solely based on talent, qualifications, competence, and merit. We evaluate candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other protected characteristics as required by law and as a matter of our company values.