Communications Manager at M1 Finance
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our boring, entrenched, and slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $4 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What we’re looking for
M1’s mission is to empower personal financial well-being, and we’re looking for a dynamic, creative, “gets-things-done” Communications Manager to build and execute against a communications and employee engagement strategy. The main goal of the Communications Manager is to align M1 employees and the community against our mission, vision and values through effective communication. The individual will also be responsible for establishing and promoting M1’s employer brand, as well as developing a CSR program.
What you’ll do
- Launch and manage M1’s company intranet platform, monthly fireside chat series, and internal events calendar
- Define and promote M1's employer brand and culture to recruit the top talent in Chicago and across the country
- Project manage the development of new employer brand assets, such as video, photography, employee spotlights, and blog posts to use across all M1 properties and third-party sites
- Build awards calendar and submit M1 for employer awards (I.e. Best Places to Work programs, Coolest Offices)
- Partner with our PR agency of record to develop pitches and story ideas related to M1’s product, company, and culture and employer brand
- Regularly update M1's website and third-party sites with defined employer branding detail and creative assets
- Leverage M1's enthusiastic employee base to further promote the M1 as a brand, preferred personal finance platform and place to work
- Develop a community service program that aligns with our mission of improving personal financial well-being
- Partner with our head of Brand and Director of Communications to conduct brand and elevator speech training for all employees on a regular basis
- Work with M1’s People Operations team to build and launch recruitment campaigns throughout the year
- Regularly update and manage the Integrated Communications Calendar with key campaigns, content, awards and media pitches
- 4-6 years of experience in communications, employee engagement, and corporate social responsibility
- High interest in, and knowledge of, personal finance and financial wellness topics
- Strong writer, communicator, and presenter
- Strong track record of creating and implementing creative communication programs that lead to plan-beating business results
- Experience with event and conference planning
- Prior work in fintech or fast-growing environments is a plus
- Familiarity with digital channels and strategies
- Familiarity with new and emerging technologies related to content delivery
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Competitive Pay and Stock Options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication with leadership
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym