Buying a home should be an exciting milestone. But all too often, it’s stressful, especially in a competitive market or when you’re buying and selling at the same time. So we’re redesigning the home-buying experience. We’re a fast-paced real estate startup that empowers agents to help homebuyers buy with cash. We buy homes on behalf of our partners’ clients with our cash, then the client buys the home back from us.
Founder and CEO Tim Heyl, a 10-year industry veteran and owner of one of the fastest-growing agent teams in the country, started Homeward in 2018. In fact, he bought our first customer’s home with his own life savings. Today we offer two services — Buy With Cash and Buy Before You Sell.
We’ve raised more than $160MM in equity capital from top-tier venture investors, including Norwest, Blackstone Alternative Asset Management, Adams Street, Javelin, and LiveOak. Our leadership team includes experts from the real estate, mortgage, and technology industries.
About the opportunity
We’re focused on bringing home finance innovations to life and delivering a seamlessly integrated home purchasing experience. We are looking for subject matter experts and business people with an entrepreneur's mindset who will combine their expertise with a willingness to think outside the box to come up with new solutions.
We’re seeking a Product and Regulatory Counsel who is passionate about designing new financial products and helping to scale and grow a business. You will report to our head of legal while working cross functionally with other members of our senior leadership team, financial product team, sales team, and marketing team to enable financial product launches, new product features and expansion of existing financial products, while managing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. You will have the opportunity to help build a regulatory and compliance program for a rapidly growing company which is changing the way the residential real estate industry does business.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
In this role you will:
- Collaborate with and provide regulatory and compliance guidance to our financial product, marketing, operations, and business development teams on issues related to new and existing products from the initial stages of product development through launch
- Advise the various stakeholders how to navigate applicable laws for expansion to new markets and expansion into new lines of business
- Develop and maintain a repository of legal resources required for products, such as terms of service, product policies, privacy notices and other disclosures
- Cross collaborate across the organization to design and implement company policies and trainings to comply with the latest relevant industry, consumer protection, advertising, and privacy laws
- Anticipate and identify legal and regulatory risks and propose creative and effective solutions to address those risks
- Work with our compliance team to develop and maintain Homeward’s compliance management system (CMS), which spans across Homeward, Inc., Homeward Mortgage LLC, and Homeward Title LLC
What you’ll bring:
- JD degree from an accredited law school and currently licensed as an attorney
- 5+ years of regulatory legal experience at governmental agencies, law firms, or in-house legal departments related to the financial services industry
- Experience in preparing, modifying, and implementing regulatory and compliance-related policies to address consumer protection laws, data protection laws, and other regulations applicable to the company’s products and services
- A working knowledge of RESPA and other statutes and regulations relating to real estate, residential lending, title insurance, data privacy, information security, and consumer protection
- A positive problem-solving orientation, with the ability to effectively translate legal advice into actionable guidance and collaborate on legal solutions with other departments and senior management
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high production environment
- The drive to build something new that will change the real estate industry
Nice to have:
- In-house product counsel experience at a high growth start-up fintech or proptech company
THE GOLDEN RULE
Whether we’re dealing with colleagues or customers, we follow The Golden Rule, treating others the way we want to be treated. It’s a simple rule, but it’s also significant: we don’t prioritize money or growth over people, and we practice empathy at every opportunity.
We work in tech and build solutions for real estate. Both are fast-paced and stressful industries. So it’s important that we focus on the larger objective rather than rushing from one task to the next. If something is out of scope, we say “No.” If something feels rushed, we pump the brakes. This calm focus helps us create solutions our customers love.
ONE TEAM, ONE DREAM
Big problems require big solutions. We look at our customers’ experience holistically, and recognize that solving them requires collaboration across teams. This approach extends to cooperation among our three affiliate companies — Homeward, Homeward Mortgage and Homeward Title — and produces a more integrated homebuying experience.