Manager, Senior Counsel, Core Product at Notarize
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:37 p.m. (CST) on Wednesday, January 12, 2022
At Notarize, we’re pulling the future closer, bringing industries like real estate, automotive, and financial services into the digital age. We’re the first company to complete a legal online notarization, online mortgage closing, online will, online auto sale, and countless other critical transactions.
We’re proud to play an integral role for our customers -- from individuals to major enterprises -- in making life’s most important moments better.
Our business has grown exponentially (over 600%!) in the past year. In September 2021 we came in at #114 on Inc.’s list of the 5000 fastest-growing companies in the nation. We raised an additional $130 million in Series D funding in March of this year -- backed by industry behemoths like Capital G/Google, Citi, and Wells Fargo -- and we recently announced a major strategic partnership with Adobe.
Notarize is the pioneer and market leader in Remote Online Notarization (RON), and we’re building the team that will operate a critical platform in tomorrow’s fully-remote economy. Come join us!
Notarize is proud to be a fully-distributed, remote-first team. Employees can work from anywhere in the United States -- all 50 states and D.C too.
We’re looking for a product attorney and team leader to head up our core product legal function at Notarize. In this role, you’ll oversee and support a team responsible for developing and furthering Notarize’s core product offerings. This is an opportunity to innovate and drive meaningful impact across a hyper-growth technology company.
What you'll do as our Manager, Senior Counsel, Core Product:
- Be primarily responsible for overseeing a team of 2-6 attorneys and non-attorneys as they support the development and expansion of the core Notarize product suite in relation to our business and real estate verticals
- Provide legal guidance and product regulatory support to the go to market team, including interfacing with in-house counsel of sales prospects during the sales cycle
- Assist with and oversee the creation and maintenance of a repository of legal resources related to product features and functionalities including FAQs, one-pagers and product-related training
- Oversee a team responsible for reviewing training and other legally relevant materials created by other internal teams, ensuring the advice provided is accurate and timely
- Manage product development and enhancement requests
- Remain up to date on relevant industry laws and regulations in order to provide an ongoing ability to deliver sound compliance advice
- Conduct and oversee other attorneys who are conducting significant core legal research (primary areas of focus are notarial, electronic signatures and records, privacy, & data protection laws & regulations) to identify critical legal authority on specific issues, making fine-grain, qualitative judgments of legal content
- Ensure the legal team is maintaining documentation explaining these requirements and solutions to members of product/engineering and other internal teams.
- Help resolve legal questions that arise during the development of product features and functionalities
- Identify and evaluate business and legal risks, and find creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals
- Work proactively with cross-functional partners including business, Compliance and Legal teams
What we're looking for:
- J.D. degree and a state bar member in good standing (any US State)
- 8 + years of in-house experience with at least 3+ years of management experience small to mid-size teams
- In-house experience should be related to consumer financial services (preferably residential real estate) including regulatory analysis, product development, compliance and operational functions
- Inquisitive and proactive in identifying risks and proposing creative and effective solutions
- Strong project management, critical thinking and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present complex issues to senior management in a clear and persuasive manner (verbally and in writing)
Some of our benefits:
- Competitive salaries & equity
- Heavily subsidized medical, dental, and vision
- 401k with 4% match
- Unlimited PTO & flexible work schedules
- Fully-distributed team: work from anywhere in the U.S.
- Paid parental leave
- Annual budget for personal learning & development
- Small, cross-functional teams
- Strong emphasis on collaboration & mentorship
- Paid lunches (through Grubhub) + regular Lunch & Learn sessions
Our core values:
- Solve Problems That Matter: We serve some of the most important moments in people's lives. It's a responsibility we embrace by focusing obsessively on the issues that will have a quantifiable impact on our customers and our company growth.
- Yes Before No: We are optimistic about our ability to change lives by transforming outmoded processes. We believe our efforts can create a better future, and it is our attitude that will allow us to pull that future closer.
- Start With Why: We don't presume to understand the intentions of the people around us, whether coworkers or customers. We ask honest questions and listen to feedback in order to gain insight, build trust, and create memorable experiences.
- Stamp Together: We create a strong team and a welcoming workplace by valuing diverse perspectives. Every role in our organization is supported and valued equally, without regard to location or background.
Notarize is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We'd love to hear from you.