At Density, we build the infrastructure necessary to measure how people use space. At our core, we believe Better Spaces = A Better World. The impacts of our solutions can include lower emissions, less waste, better access, safer buildings, and better designed cities. It is a long-term pursuit and one we could use your help achieving.
Density General Counsel will work closely with the executive team throughout the business to design, build, and lead the legal infrastructure required to enable and support the company’s growth and scale objectives. The Head of Legal is a consequential leadership role and will report to the Chief Executive Officer, and, together with the Chief of Staff, will provide key support to the Executive Team, Board of Directors, and stakeholders within and outside of the business.
In this role, you will:
- Build a high performing in-house global legal department and develop legal frameworks to protect and promote the company’s interests as they evolve.
- Develop and manage the company’s legal strategy annually, assessing future opportunities and risks to enable growth, scale, and effective decision-making across the organization.
- Oversee the drafting, review, and negotiation of complex leasing, sales, SaaS subscription, and professional services agreements with global enterprises and partners, and other commercial agreements as needed, to meet the company's strategic objectives.
- Drive internal legal initiatives covering topics such as employment law, IP strategy, commercial terms strategies, security and data compliance, and risk management.
- Establish and enhance internal corporate legal policies and compliance programs, including creation of company agreements, forms, and legal playbooks to streamline processes.
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties (regulators, external counsel, public authorities, etc.), creating relationships of trust.
- Work in concert with the Density Board of Directors’ legal counsel as may be required to promote and protect the interests of the company and its investors.
- Manage external law and legal services firms, ensuring project completion while managing legal costs.
- Establish highly collaborative and collegial cross-functional relationships with stakeholders in the Finance, Sales, Marketing, People, Operations, Product, and Exec Team organizations.
- Partner with and advise our People Team on human resources processes, procedures, best practice, sales and variable compensation agreements, and regulatory compliance matters across jurisdictions and geographies.
- Co-lead with the CEO and CFO the development and tactical execution of corporate structuring initiatives, including global entity strategy development and implementation, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance best practices, and litigation prevention and response, among others.
- Support and assist with applications for patents, trademarks, and registrations, and track and report on progress toward securing these protections.
- Design, develop, and implement a legal ops infrastructure, including a central contract management system, legal project management system, and regulatory compliance and filings tracking and reporting systems.
What you bring:
- At least ten years of progressively responsible experience.
- Strong academic background and a J.D. from a highly-regarded law school.
- Licensure to practice law in California or New York
- Experience managing an in-house legal function for a growth-stage startup, including managing an in-house team and outside counsel, is ideal.
- Experience overseeing a broad range of legal subject matter, including, but not limited to, corporate development, venture capital and fundraising, IPO preparation, international employment law, international commercial law, and M&A.
- A track record of balancing the management of risk while also enabling business growth and product experimentation.
- Strong ability to turn legalese into language that everyone can understand, especially as it relates to policy and procedure.
What we value:
- High integrity and ethical standards.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) across all levels of the organization with a positive, service-oriented attitude.
- Experience building highly-collaborative and collegial cross-functional co-working relationships with Sales, Finance, Operations, People, and Marketing Teams.
- Results- and detail-orientation, with strong decision-making skills and the ability to prioritize multiple objectives while meeting aggressive deadlines.
- Experience at a top corporate law firm.
- Proven track record of learning and adapting quickly, thinking rigorously, and working proactively and independently.
What we bring:
- A team hailing from places like Apple, WeWork, Stripe, Stanford, NASA, and beyond.
- $200M from investors such as Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, and Upfront Ventures.
- A work environment full of fun, smart, dedicated, and kind teammates.
- Our values — be humble, seek feedback, and always solve the fundamental problem.
- Excellent health benefits, including medical, dental, vision, mental, reproductive, and active coverage; mandatory PTO; equity; and more.
More Information on Density
Density operates in the Analytics industry. The company is located in San Francisco, CA, New York, NY and Syracuse, NY. Density was founded in 2014. It has 151 total employees. To see all 10 open jobs at Density, click here.
Read Full Job Description