The Amherst Group of companies comprise of leading real estate investment and advisory firms with a mission to transform the way real estate is owned, financed and managed. Amherst leverages its proprietary data, analytics, technology, and decades of experience to seek solutions for a fragmented, slow-to-evolve real estate ecosystem and to materially improve the experience for residents, buyers, sellers, communities, and investors. Today Amherst has over 1000 employees and $14.1 billion in assets under management.
Over the past decade, Amherst has scaled its platform to become one of the largest operators of single-family assets and has acquired, renovated, and leased more than 46,000 homes across 32 markets in the U.S. The firm delivers customized, stabilized cash-flowing portfolios of assets to its investors, wrapped in all the ongoing services required to manage, own, and finance the asset including property management, portfolio management, and a full capital markets team. In addition to its single-family rental platform, Amherst’s debt business pursues two distinct credit strategies in mortgage-backed securities and commercial real estate lending. Over its 25-year history, Amherst has developed a deep bench of research and technology talent, and leverages data and analytics at every stage in the asset lifecycle to improve operations and preserve long-term value for our investors and the more than 188,000 residents the firm has served.
A day in the life of a Senior Accountant:
The Senior Accountant supports the accounting department in areas focused on the processing, reconciliation, and reporting of financial transactions, including interdepartmental and inter-company transaction reconciliation. This position will report to the Controller, Assistant Controller, or Senior Accounting Supervisor per department structure.
- General ledger and subsidiary ledger reconciliation
- Prepare month end account reconciliation and journal entries to record financial activity
- Review and approve and process financial transactions
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations
- Reporting of financial activity related to department responsibilities
- Assists in annual audit providing supporting documentation
- Ad hoc reporting and process documentation
- Other duties as assigned
What you’ll need to have:
- BS in Accounting
- 4 years of accounting experience
- A mix of Public and Private Experience preferred
- CPA preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite of products
- Proficiency with Yardi preferred
- Experience in real estate, preferably rental property preferred
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
Just a few other things you should know:
- Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Our full-time employee benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO including 7 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday, and 1 volunteer day
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Up to 16 weeks paid maternity leave; up to 4 weeks of paid parental leave
- Backup childcare offered through Bright Horizons
- Relaxed casual environment with virtual office events
Our full-time employee benefits include:
A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
Flexible PTO including 7 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday, and 1 volunteer day
Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
Professional career development and reimbursement
Up to 16 weeks paid maternity leave; up to 4 weeks of paid parental leave
Backup childcare offered through Bright Horizons
Relaxed casual environment with virtual office events
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.