Revenue Accounting and Revenue Operations Manager / Senior Manager at Hippo Insurance
Role: Revenue Accounting and Revenue Operations Manager / Sr. Manager
Reporting to: Director, Technical Accounting & Reporting
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that isn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
About This Role:
This position reports to the Director of Technical Insurance Accounting and Reporting and is an interdisciplinary position which interacts with Business Operations, Sales, Legal and various Operational teams. The ideal candidate will have a high attention to detail, effective communication skills, and willingness to learn. This is an ideal opportunity for an individual seeking diverse job duties in an outgoing and collaborative environment.
* Needs to have insurance experience
- Performs revenue accounting for all aspects of the business
- Performs sales / insurance / reinsurance contract reviews to ensure that revenue is properly accounted
- Understands different aspects of reinsurance agreements to set up revenue accounting and reporting properly, consistent with company policies.
- Identifies any non-standard contract term and ensure proper revenue accounting and revenue recognition
- Partners with the Sales organization and Sales Ops to problem solve and assist with structuring strategic deals as it relates to billing or revenue
- Has the ability to understand the impact of the overall construct of revenue contracts
- Adheres to order to cash related accounting policies, internal controls, and processes
- Communicates roadblocks and challenges and consults strategically to management
- Has the ability to engage cross functional teams as applicable to drive to resolution
- Reviews AR aging and understand root cause for issues relating to non-payment
- Coordinates with FinOps team for past due Open AR balance
- Assists in performing internal control procedures to ensure SOX compliance
- Assists external audit team regarding all quarterly and annual audit requirements
- Assists in executing an efficient and accurate accounting close and reporting process
- Maintains and makes improvements on documentation requirements
- Participate sin the development of metrics and system capabilities to better reconcile and report on global orders related data
- Provides input for on-going development and improvement on systems and operation processes, enabling repeatable processes, scalability, and the support of new business initiatives
- Has project and people management skills to ensure adherence with strict deadlines
- Does detailed review of revenue analysis, account reconciliations, journal entries and ad-hoc reports; quickly summarizing and escalating areas of interest
- Prepares complex revenue analyses and ad-hoc reports, identifying and communicating any issues.
- Ensures key controls operate effectively and appropriate documentation is maintained.
- Supports our external auditors during their quarterly reviews and year end audit.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance
- 5+ years of experience in insurance or as a consultant to this industry or in Big 4 accounting firm serving insurance clients
- Solid planning and prioritization skills
- Demonstrated high energy with the ability to remain flexible and change priorities in a challenging and fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to work autonomously
- Strong oral and written communication skills and customer service skills is required, as well as eagerness to learn and take on challenges in a rapidly growing and dynamic environment
- Must be a team player and self-starter
- Excellent computer skills with MS Office software, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint; and independently take ownership to manage assigned tasks
- High level of enthusiasm, and takes pride in work, consistently delivering exceptional quality
- Well developed project management, people management and communications skills (both verbal and written)
- You are comfortable making decisions; you effectively manage risk, understand when to apply materiality and escalate and/or collaborate when appropriate.
- Challenges are viewed as opportunities to learn and maintain and project a positive attitude
- Comfortable working within the Finance team as well as cross functionally, when needed, to resolve issues
Nice to Haves:
- Netsuite experience
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts.
- Flexible Paid Time Off- Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Little Hippos Program- We reimburse our team members up to $25k for adoption costs and up to $50k for infertility treatments. Plus, we offer 12 weeks parental leave for primary caregivers and 8 weeks for secondary caregivers.
- Hippo Habitat- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits including free parking pass. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all!
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.