Premium Tax Consultant at CNA
We are seeking an experienced accounting professional to ensure tax compliance throughout the premium and municipal tax life cycles in support of the filing of state premium tax returns, municipal tax returns, and estimated payments. Responsibilities also include assisting with state and local premium tax audits and tax planning opportunities, performing research and presenting findings, executing process improvement initiatives and collaborating with our Tax Technology team to incorporate automated technology solutions for enhanced operational outcomes. This role will have exposure to Tax Division leadership.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Responsible for the timely completion of a variety of activities for premium and municipal taxes including preparation of tax filings, documentation, reporting, and payment processing.
- Assists with the analyses of state and local premium tax accruals and effective tax rates, investigates tax implications, and makes recommendations for informed decisions.
- Participates in the development and execution of premium and municipal tax strategies and planning opportunities.
- Consults and partners with Finance and Accounting teams to address tax issues and meet organizational objectives.
- Stays abreast of technical trends and developments for state and local premium taxation as well as the insurance industry in general.
- Participates in automation initiatives within the Tax Division.
- Delivers professional and timely services to internal and external customers.
- Supports other tax professional peers.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of core functions of an insurance company and general insurance/corporate accounting. Knowledge of premium and municipal taxes is a plus.
- Solid understanding of business and process workflow.
- Strong computer skills, including advanced knowledge of Excel and Adobe Acrobat. Experience with PremiumPro tax software is a plus.
- Strong mindset of continuous process improvements, with a focus towards automated solutions. Experience with Alteryx and other automation tools is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to interact effectively with internal and external business partners.
- Results oriented with the ability to solve problems and work independently and/or in a team environment, demonstrating strong interpersonal skills.
- Project management, organizational and planning skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in accounting.
- Minimum 3-5 years of accounting experience, including exposure to regulatory compliance.
- Premium and municipal tax experience is preferred.