Wheel is the health tech company powering the next generation of healthcare. The entire healthcare industry is racing to serve patients online, but outdated business models, technologies, and mindsets are continuing to get in the way. We pioneered a new way for companies to build and scale virtual care.
Instead of starting from scratch, companies can leverage Wheel’s virtual care platform and nationwide clinician network to develop a virtual care service — bypassing the 15 months and $15 million it can take to build from the ground up. Today, Wheel powers the most innovative companies in healthcare today, including digital health companies, clinical lab networks, retailers, traditional healthcare providers, and tech companies.
We’re a team of experts and innovators working together to solve some of healthcare’s most challenging problems in order to put great care within everyone’s reach. We’ve raised $216 million in funding and backed by top investors including Lightspeed Venture Partners, Tiger Global, Coatue, CRV, Tusk Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, and Silverton Partners.
In the last year we’re proud to have been named:
- Forbes Next Billion Dollar Startups
- Built In’s Best Remote-First Places to Work
- CB Insights Digital Health 150
- Business Insider 30 Leaders under 40 Changing Healthcare
We’re looking for people to join our team who share a passion for making a positive difference in healthcare and feel connected to our core values.
Wheel is looking for a Payroll Manager to join our rapidly growing accounting team. We are seeking a payroll, compliance and payroll/benefits systems expert to support our high-growth trajectory. This position will report directly to the Controller and will act as a key contributor to shape Wheel’s payroll processes and controls.
- Lead all aspects of processing semi-monthly US payroll to ensure accurate and timely payroll reporting
- Understand and administer the complexities of multi-state payrolls to ensure compliance with company policies and regulations in multiple jurisdictions, including state paid leaves and other requirements that require a payroll deduction
- Ensure the timely processing of federal, state and local tax filings, payments, corrections and tax notices
- Identify and lead the development of scalable and efficient payroll process improvements
- Assist with administration of leave of absences in partnership with People Operations
- Assist in month-end close processes, including preparation of journal entries, reconciliations and account analysis
- Ensure financial reporting is standardized and ensure compliance with GAAP accounting rules that affect payroll accounts globally
- Verify all equity plan transactions (grants, exercises, dispositions, etc.) are correctly processed in the Carta platform
- Ensure regulatory compliance while continually monitoring and analyzing the constantly evolving regional regulatory landscape
- Assist with internal/external payroll audits and compliance reporting including 401(k) and workers compensation
- Collaborate effectively with People team members and Finance on payroll/equity related issues, ad-hoc projects, reporting, audits and account reconciliations
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, economics, business administration or related field
- 5+ years of professional experience working with multi-state payroll, as well as exempt and nonexempt employees
- Comprehensive knowledge of payroll laws and payroll tax regulations
- Ability to work independently and as a team member in a high velocity environment
- Experience with BambooHR, Trax, Ease, Carta and NetSuite preferred
- Excellent communication, organization and analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively across teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills