Financial Analyst II or III
Financial Analyst II or III
This role develops financial budgets and forecasts that align with Southern Company Gas' strategic objectives and providing accurate actionable analysis and reporting to help with maximizing profitability. Additionally, this role will support philanthropic activities through analysis and reporting of all charitable expenditures for Southern Company Gas Foundation and Southern Company Gas.
This position may be filled as Financial Analyst II or III. Individuals who demonstrate advanced skills in terms of work experience, education, and certifications may be eligible for the more advanced position.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Supports business areas in plan creation (budgets, forecasts and strategic)
- Provides business area value added analysis and reporting (monthly variance reporting, trending, projections, presentations and ad-hoc analysis) to support business decision makers.
- Works with business area leaders to achieve desired results.
- Monitors results versus plan and works with business leaders to achieve desired results
- Supports business area needs (non-budget/finance) and analyzes financial and non-financial data to help drive business decisions
- Articulates results, variances and key drivers effectively
- Demonstrates knowledge of the business and industry in analyses and updates scenario models
- Develops recommendations and alternatives to meet objectives
- Collaborates with business area to understand trends and initiatives (current and future)
- Builds effective relationships with business area(s) supported
- Communicates effectively with all levels of the business area supported
- Influences business decisions by sharing analyses and expertise.
- Identifies process and/or profit improvements
- Provides reports from Oracle and other systems to track and report charitable contributions. Supports questions on these transactions and other ad-hoc requests.
- Supports VP Corporate Responsibility on philanthropic financial analysis for Southern Company Gas.
Education and Experience
- BS/BA degree in Accounting or Finance
- Energy company experience.
Related Work Experience:
Financial Analyst II
- Up to 2 years experience in financial planning, financial analysis, regulatory planning, and/or accounting or related fields
Financial Analyst III
- 2-4 years experience in financial planning, financial analysis, regulatory planning, and/or accounting or related fields
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
- Ability to work independently while keeping management informed as appropriate
- Excellent communication skills
- Positive attitude and energy
- Ability to handle multiple projects with changing priorities
- Maintain positive relationships with teammates and many different stakeholders
- Ability to communicate in a range of situations and people, i.e., from a high level in simple terms down to a detailed level with complex topics and information
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Working knowledge of Oracle and its budgeting and reporting systems or similar systems
- MS Excel - intermediate to advanced proficiency
- MS Office Suite - intermediate proficiency
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Currently, hybrid work environment, working onsite/in the office 2 - 3 days per week.
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is a leading energy company serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries as of Jan. 1, 2019. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in three states, natural gas distribution companies in four states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America, a leading distributed energy infrastructure company, a fiber optics network and telecommunications services . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices below the national average. For more than a century, we have been building the future of energy and developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, advanced carbon capture technologies, natural gas, renewables, energy efficiency and storage technology. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation and a low-carbon future, Southern Company and its subsidiaries develop the customized energy solutions our customers and communities require to drive growth and prosperity. Our uncompromising values ensure we put the needs of those we serve at the center of everything we do and govern our business to the benefit of our world. Our corporate culture and hiring practices have been recognized nationally by the U.S. Department of Defense, G.I. Jobs magazine, DiversityInc, Black Enterprise, Forbes and the Women's Choice Award. To learn more, visit www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to): Yes, 25 % of the Time
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Req ID: ASC2000143