Who we are
Focal Systems is the industry leader in retail AI solutions. We are a Silicon Valley based startup that has more than doubled in size every year since inception. Our mission is to automate and optimize brick and mortar retail using deep learning computer vision. We have been deployed at scale with the top retailers in the world. We are looking for smart, creative and passionate people who love to learn, enjoy thinking critically, and want to help build a great and enduring company!
What we're looking for
We are looking for a results-driven Accountant like you to ensure that we deliver quality financial information that we can use to make the best business decisions. You will report to our Head of Finance and work on the whole array of accounting and finance activities with focus on producing a quality reporting package for the Executive Team every month. You will also be a trusted partner to other functional leaders in Operations, Sales, and Product Engineering.
What you will be doing
- Manage the timely completion of the month end close process. We are currently closing the books timely, so things are in pretty good shape.
- Prepare monthly journal entries and balance sheet account reconciliations timely and accurately. Includes tracking, analyzing variance and ensuring proper month-end cutoff. There are lots of opportunities to work on forecast and other FP&A activities.
- Prepare a monthly reporting pack with KPIs. We have defined KPIs but there are opportunities for this accounting role to get into the business and work on metrics and report out to functional leaders.
- Prepare cash reconciliations and related journal entries for various bank accounts
- Manage Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll and related balance sheet reconciliations.
- Work with external vendors (already in place) for tax, audit and other compliance matters.
- Apply principles of accounting and maintain financial records in compliance with US GAAP, Company policies, and internal controls.
- Work in a collaborative manner with heads of other functions to provide financial insights and help guide decisions. You will be a partner in Sales, Operations, and Product Engineering primarily.
What you need to be successful
- BA/BS degree in business, accounting, or related field
- 2+ years of progressive accounting experience, especially in a general ledger capacity.
- Good understanding of GAAP, with the ability to research accounting issues
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to integrate and communicate across all levels of the organization and with external service providers
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to perform functions with high level of accuracy with minimum supervision. We are a small team.
- Excellent computer skills and ability to learn new applications. We use bill.com, SVB, Box, Carta, Quickbooks, Docusign, Expensify, Google Suite, and MS Office.
Why You Should Join Focal Systems
- Be one of the first Finance team members to keep building the organization and help make Focal history together!
Accelerate your career growth by joining our fast-paced start-up where advancement opportunities are plentiful.
- You will be presented with attractive equity that is increasing in value every year in addition to competitive salary.
Work with our exceptional team of A-players that are hard-working, fun-loving professionals from some of the most eminent universities, research labs, and tech companies of our time.
- Join an organization with strong values and mission, which define our approach to business and have successfully guided us since inception.
- Be surrounded by outstanding partners. We work with 10+ of the largest retailers in the world and have a world-class roster of investors, advisors, and partners to support & advise us in our endeavors.
What we offer
We care deeply about the health, happiness, and wellbeing of all of our employees. We offer:
- Competitive salary
- Stock that will be actually worth something!
- Health Insurance
- Catered lunches
- Paid Time Off
- Quarterly Team Retreats
- Education grants
- Large equity grants in a fast growing startup