From Fivetran’s founding until now, our mission has remained the same: to make access to data as simple and reliable as electricity. With Fivetran, customer data arrives in their warehouses, canonical and ready to query, with no engineering or maintenance required. We’re proud that more organizations continue to leverage our technology every day to become truly data-driven.
If you love the idea of building and operating the world largest, elastic, reliable, secure, and massively scalable data movement platform and you’re intimately familiar with how to do that in AWS, GCP, and Azure (yes, we run in all three), you should talk to us before this highly coveted position is filled.
Your responsibilities will include all facets of delivering a high-quality and high-availability customer and software engineering experience, including the pre-production developer productivity experience and quality engineering teams. Last, but not least, being an engineer at heart, you are also passionate about building strong relationships across the engineering team to communicate, drive and implement our platform vision and strategy.
Fivetran’s Data Movement Platform
Fivetran’s platform spans our core data pipeline processing framework, our cloud architecture and infrastructure, internal development systems, security framework, common components, quality engineering framework, and our developer systems and experience. Combining those pillars into a massively scaling platform, we are able to manage data streaming and batch workloads for the three main public clouds, AWS, Azure, and GCP.
As Fivetran’s VP of Platform Engineering, you will be responsible and accountable for:
- Platform Vision, Architecture & Strategy: Your experience managing platform teams enables you to craft, design, orchestrate, and deliberate a platform architecture vision, architecture, and strategy.
- Scalable Cloud Architecture: Using your first-hand experience working with public CSPs, you and your team are designing and delivering a cloud architecture to run 25,000+ customers comfortably with lots of room to scale upwards from there.
- Building and Running our High-Reliability Platform: With a goal of delivering a 99.9+% Uptime customer experience, you will leverage your deep technical knowledge and experience to manage a team that is building and running our platform.
- Customer Value Delivery: With a strong propensity to make a visible impact and deliver new, improved, secure, and reliable features to our engineering teams and customers every quarter, you’re drawing on your experience to motivate the platform engineering teams to be accountable to customer value delivery.
- Quality Engineering (QE): To drive our industry-leading uptime, you’re leveraging QE methods and processes as well as embedded QE teams embedded in our software engineering teams to ensure that downtime, bugs, and incidents in production are minimized.
- Developer Systems & Experience: You will lean on demonstrated prior experience managing a team that delivers engineering productivity gains by leveraging systems, automations, integrations, and productivity tools.
- Platform Security: Bringing together our CISO team and your platform teams, you will deliver the most secure data movement platform in the industry, one that holds up to the most rigorous security and compliance standards which will enable us to move data for international and government organizations.
- Common Components: Our platform includes common components such as our data pipeline orchestration framework, data privacy tooling, secret management, and such. Those components are used by our engineers to build the data pipelines and data pipeline frameworks.
- Platform Business Management: In addition to building and running an industry-leading platform, you’re also focusing on the business aspects of the platform, most notably the ability to drive our gross margin through responsible owner-mentality infrastructure cost management.
- Top-Notch Platform Team: You are leveraging your proven track record of hiring and integrating top-notch leaders and architects and integrating them into the team.
- Experience in building and managing a 50+ team that has built platforms
- At least one prior platform role in a 300+ team member engineering organization before, at the VP level
- 10+ years of experience working in engineering senior leadership teams
- Experience managing managers and managing international teams
- Proven strong people management and career development skills
- Experience in engineering processes, OKRs and KPIs
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with technical founders and non-engineering stakeholders
- Ability to travel internationally (EMEA, APAC) for 2 weeks a quarter
- Background in security, privacy, and compliance (PCI, ISO 27001, SOC2)
- Master of Science in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Math or similar technical fields
- Experience in building in data pipeline or data processing platforms
- Experience in managing developer productivity/efficiency teams
- Experience in managing QA teams
Perks and Benefits:
- 100% paid Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life Insurance. Benefits begin on your first day!
- Option of Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Savings Account (FSA)
- Generous paid time off (PTO) plus paid sick time, holidays, parental leave, and volunteer days off
- 401k match program
- Eligible donation match program
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Home office setup reimbursement program for 100% remote employees
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Company virtual happy hours, free food, and fun team building activities
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter benefits to help with transit and parking costs
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Referral Bonuses
- RSU's - every employee is granted RSU's when they walk in the door
- Annual Camp Fivetran trip that brings together every employee from around the world
We’re honored to be valued at over $5.6 billion, but more importantly, we’re proud of our core values of Get Stuck In, Do the Right Thing, and One Team, One Dream.
Fivetran brings together high-quality talent across the globe to make data access as easy and reliable as electricity for our customers. We value and recognize that our customers benefit from having innovative teams made of people from many backgrounds, experiences and identities. Fivetran promotes diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging through attracting, recruiting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce, not only because it is the right thing to do, but because it helps us build a world-class company to better serve our customers, our people and our communities.
To learn more about Fivetran’s culture and what it’s like to be part of the team, click here and enjoy our video.