Systems Project Engineer at Ball Aerospace (Greater Denver Area)
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 should it be reinstated.
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Advanced Technology & Information Solutions Strategic Business Unit provides scientific, engineering and other experts that work with our customers to solve their hardest problems and advance state-of-the-art technology. Our data solutions professionals deliver enterprise processing, analytics, exploitation and management, as well as information technology hardware that provide actionable information for warfighters and decision makers. In addition, our subject matter experts provide world-class technology and operational insight that help organizations advance the boundaries of knowledge and accomplish their missions.
Systems Project Engineer
Join the Advanced Technology & Information Solutions (ATIS) team at Ball Aerospace – a diverse group of motivated problem solvers. We're excited about the challenging projects we're involved in and have a strong commitment to the missions we enable. Offering growth opportunities at all levels of skill and experience, we're looking for leaders and innovators who can continue our strong reputation for creativity and technical excellence, while helping to define the future of Ball.
We're seeking an independent, action-oriented space professional capable of supporting development, fielding, operations, and maintenance of large space programs. Actions include leading efforts for the entire program lifecycle, including concept, design, requirement development, implementation, and launch. This leadership position is for an experienced spae professional who can provide direct support to multiple business units within Ball as they develop systems.
This is a challenging, fast-paced job which will be exciting and highly gratifying for the successful candidate.
Make a difference. Love what you do. Realize your full potential.
What You’ll Do:
- Mission ops product development and test - assist with completion of new procedure (proc) testing using command and control element (CCE) and CloudSim, write task manuals for mission operations activities to be used during launch, on-orbit-test, and operations required to operate the entire ground and space enterprises, consult with SMEs to develop and validate documentation.
- Mission ops training material development - draft operator training materials required to bring up to expected levels of proficiency (to be gained primarily during Operational Exercises (OpEx) and Rehearsals prior to launch)
- Sustainment proposal development and planning - participate in development of upcoming sustainment proposal (RFP expected in near future) to define how Ball will support operations, maintenance, and sustainment after transition to operations
- Exercise, rehearsal, and on-orbit-test planning and execution.
- Participate as a member of OpEx and Rehearsal activities in Broomfield or at customer location.
- Participate as a member of the Launch and/or On-Orbit-Test teams.
- Sustainment post launch and commissioning.
- Help create a motivational environment where team members understand the mission, are fully engaged and empowered to execute, and are recognized for their performance.
- Resolve conflicts, demands and priorities on assigned programs.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e. Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
- Experience in spacecraft systems, space operations, working with multiple DoD space system customers.
- Familiarity with systems engineering processes, including requirements development, requirement allocation, change management, verification and validation.
- An understanding of all aspects of planning, scheduling, risk management, and team leadership.
- A good technical foundation for Space-based Missions – satellites and ground systems.
- Effective in small teamwork environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- Experience establishing relationships with key personnel within customer community.
- Superb presentation skills with experience presenting to senior decision making and technical audiences.
Full-Time On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Position is based primarily in Broomfield, Colorado. Possible travel and local commute between Ball campuses, Kirtland AFB, NM and other possible non-Ball locations CONUS and OCONUS locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $145,500 - $183,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.