Supplier Development Engineers are responsible for all supplier development improvements and sustainment. Works directly with sourcing, program management and engineering on strategies to improve product quality and delivery. Identifies and leads the implementation of continuous improvement projects. A leader creating a performance culture with our suppliers through coaching and technical engagement. The position requires breadth of technical experience across multiple programs and products, both electrical and mechanical, working directly with suppliers daily, influencing / working closely with the sourcing commodity leadership teams, Quality and NPD. The successful candidate should be able to effectively communicate with senior management, have a big picture strategic mindset, handle multiple priorities, influence, and solve complex problems.
Sierra Space, based in Louisville, Colorado with operations in Madison, Wisconsin, Durham, North Carolina, and Kennedy Space Center, Florida, designs and manufactures advanced spacecraft, satellites, propulsion and environmental systems, spacecraft subsystems and components for the U.S. government (including NASA), commercial customers and international organizations. Learn more about Sierra Space
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Develop positive relationships and work closely with Global Sourcing leaders to manage, implement and track supplier capacity studies and New Product Introductions (NPI), and transitions programs.
- Research external market information to identify potential sources and suppliers.
- Drive supplier selection through robust qualification processes. Assess new and existing supplier capabilities to meet product, cost, quality, capacity and fulfillment.
- Drive improvements utilizing Lean methodologies, supplier scorecards and supplier assessments.
- Support the manufacturing of complex parts and sub-assemblies by providing technical expertise and support for suppliers.
- Review manufacturing processes to ensure they will yield parts compliant to engineering drawings and specifications. Ensure supplier compliance while driving systematic problem solving and process improvement plans to deliver performance.
- Drive cross-functional engagement to remove roadblocks necessary to improve supplier performance.
- Eliminate any risks that will prevent suppliers from meeting performance targets, and escalate as needed
- Willingness to travel, up to 75%
- Typically, 4-6 years or more of relevant experience; Higher education may substitute for relevant experience
- Related experience may be considered in lieu of required education
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Sourcing, Manufacturing or Business management.
- Experience in Supply Chain, Operations, Business management or Manufacturing Engineering.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written.
- Experience with project management and Kaizen facilitation.
- Ability to interface effectively with all levels of leadership. Proven problem-solving skills, including ability to interpret business performance and financial data, define actions, and implement solutions.
- Able to read technical drawings and documentation (GD&T) Experience on performing production readiness & rate readiness reviews / assessments.
- Effective collaboration skills to motivate and influence others at various levels without a direct reporting relationship. Knowledge of using Six Sigma / Quality Tools and APQP (PFMEA, Control plan, SPC MSA etc.) Experience working with global suppliers / customers
- Six Sigma Black Belt or Lean Expert Certification
- Experience with Program Management
- Strong understanding of Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) as it applies to Supplier Management
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance may be required Learn more about the background check process for Security Clearances
To conform to U.S. Government international trade regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars. The company has technology in production and in development to enable space habitats for short- and long-duration space travel, a fleet of Dream Chaser spaceplanes, and the first free-flying commercial space station. Please visit www.sierraspace.com to learn more about Sierra Space, its business areas, capabilities, programs, products and services.
Sierra Space offers annual incentive pay based upon performance that is commensurate with the level of the position.
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
As COVID-19 continues to significantly impact our employees, families and communities, we are taking action to address the increased risk and uncertainty COVID-19 and associated variants pose in the workplace. SNC is committed to supporting our employees while ensuring we continue to meet essential national security needs of our country.
With employee health and safety as our top priority, and as a federal contractor, SNC will continue to require COVID-19 vaccination status for all employees including new hires. In accordance with applicable requirements, all current and newly hired employees who are unvaccinated may be required to adhere to enhanced onsite safety protocols including weekly COVID-19 testing, face coverings, and social distancing.
The status of applicable COVID-19 vaccination requirements are subject to change depending on applicable court orders and the course of ongoing litigation. Candidates may later be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or have an approved exemption.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.