Structural Durability Engineer at Rivian (Remote)
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Support development of the vehicle to meets its durability and robustness requirements
- Set performance targets for durability and robustness at a vehicle, system and component level
- Perform strength and stiffness analysis using Optistruct/Nastran and Abaqus on the vehicle body and on a variety of systems and components
- Solve problems using the most appropriate and efficient tool, including hand calculations and simplified CAE models
- Use advanced techniques to improve accuracy of results when required, such as fatigue analysis and non-linearity
- Report results in an easy to understand way and give a clear status and direction
- Represent the durability attribute in the business and take ownership for the delivery of good performance
- Use scripting, the latest tools and software vendor support to automate and accelerate the model build and analysis process
- Lead and support physical testing activities for model correlation and product validation, including lab selection, test definition and instrumentation, and processing and interpreting results
- Correlate CAE models at all levels, from material test to full vehicle test
- Collaborate with other teams to meet the project demands, including liaising with remote teams in different time zones
- BEng or higher (or equivalent) in Mechanical Engineering or another relevant subject
- 3 years’ experience with implicit CAE analysis assessing durability and strength, for example in Nastran or Abaqus
- A strong understanding of mechanics and materials, particularly with relation to material failure and fatigue
- Confidence using hand calculations to make assessments and check models
- The ability to define an appropriate modelling method for a structural analysis based on a real world problem
- Proficiency with common pre and post processing tools (e.g. Hyperworks, Ansa/Meta, Ansys)
This is where you’ll work:
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at [email protected]Privacy
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.