Staff Test Engineer - Platform at M1 (Chicago, IL)
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our competitors.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $6 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What we’re looking for
We’re seeking a talented Staff Test Engineer to join our rapidly-growing product division and help us scale our efforts. You’ll collaborate closely with a cross-functional “pod” of product managers, designers, and platform engineers and will own the testing strategy and approach for the product work that your team ships.
We’re a high-performance, high-impact team that values curiosity, collaboration, and transparency. Everyone has a direct hand in shaping the success of our product. If you’re the kind of engineer who is looking to both help us grow and grow with us – then we’d love to talk to you. We're hiring for our headquarters in Chicago, our office in Salt Lake City, and remotely across the US.
What You’ll Do
- Identify test approaches, implement automated tests, and perform hands-on testing for new product features on all platforms and across our tech stack
- Develop and advocate for a quality standard for all work shipped by your pod
- Facilitate collaborative testing with designers and engineers across the team
- Help product managers with release coordination and management for feature launches
- Provide a smart approach toward investigating and prioritizing defects for your pod
- Implement systems monitoring and work with engineering teams to triage alerts
- Provide testing support and oversight during our trading windows
- Prior professional testing, automation, or QA experience or education
- Introductory knowledge of software testing methodologies
- Basic experience with coding and development, either academic or professional
- Structured, organized thinker that is both attentive to detail and mindful of the big picture
- Adaptable, self-starter, goal-oriented, and growth-minded
- Excellent communicator and collaborator
It Would Be Nice If You Had Experience
- Working with and testing APIs and data-oriented microservices
- Working with and testing mobile platforms
- Experience with Git and source control
- Basic knowledge of and interest in investing, banking, and the fintech space
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym