Staff Software Engineer, Safety & Insurance at Uber
About the Role:
Ensuring safe and insured experiences for all users at all times is part of Uber's core mission. We have an opportunity to lean into making Safety a core brand differentiator. Safety & Insurance products span across the Uber lifecycle - from onboarding to on-trip to post-trip and customer support, building tech to predict and prevent safety incidents while empowering users to feel protected in every single interaction along the user journey. In the event of an incident, our Insurance tech ensures we take care of users with empathy, care, fairness and expediency. This means providing insurance coverage and personalized protection at the right time and right value. Our products are also nuanced based on geographies, and offerings (think cash markets, two-wheeler heavy markets). As we scale our efforts into more dimensions and marketplaces, we need an experienced technologist to help steer the long term vision of our engineering stack.
Staff engineers at Uber have a deep impact across a wide variety of business and technology decisions spanning multiple projects and locations. They are passionate and pragmatic technologists who are able to design scalable systems while delivering efficient code. They are not only collaborative role models but also approachable leaders with vision within a larger group. They are humble teachers, technically mentoring a team of hardworking engineers while also executing on delivering uniquely exciting projects.
What You'll Do:
- Build vision - Take ownership of a vaguely defined business problem, see the big picture, and identify strategically important problems, inefficiencies, or opportunities for significant improvements. Drive alignment on how to tackle and deliver highly leverage-able solutions at the group and organization levels.
- Demonstrate tech expertise to go very deep or broad in solving classes of problems or creating broadly leverage-able solutions.
- Execute large scale projects - Provide technical leadership in architecting and building mission-critical distributed systems. Collaborate across teams to deliver a result, from hardworking team members within your group, through smart technologists across product lines, to responsible leaders across Uber.
- Be a role model on acting with good judgment and responsibility. Deal with a difference in opinions in a mature and fair way, helping teams to commit and move forward
- Raise the bar on sustainable engineering by improving standard methodologies, producing best-in-class code, documentation, testing, and monitoring
- 10+ years relevant engineering experience.
- Experience with Go, Java, or C++ (bonus points for more than one).
- Proven record of designing and implementing large scale distributed systems.
- You have great interpersonal skills, deep technical ability, and a portfolio of successful execution.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents.
- Passionate about helping teams grow by inspiring and mentoring engineers.
- Customer obsessed and have a product attitude.
- You can collaborate well with product engineering teams to articulate requirements and system design.
- Strong product focus and acumen.
- Experience with architecting high-scale consumer products in close partnership with mobile engineers.
- Experience with very large data processing pipelines, and data integrations.
- Proven ability to develop other strong senior engineers into Staff engineers, operating and leading their own initiatives with org-wide scope and high impact
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.