Staff Software Engineer, Networking at Reddit (San Francisco, CA or Remote)
Our mission is to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. With more than 50 million people visiting 100,000+ communities daily, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. From pets to parenting, skincare to stocks, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
“The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 450 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy.
The Transport Infrastructure team’s mission is building and maintaining interservice and edge networking infrastructure that is performant, reliable, and secure. The infrastructure provides self-serve features for Reddit engineers that make the network easy to understand and easy to use.
As a Staff Engineer on this team, you’ll work closely with other infrastructure engineers, SREs and service owners, drawing on your expertise to set the technical direction for Reddit’s networking architecture. You’ll be responsible for leading broad infrastructure projects through design, planning, and implementation.
- Design, plan, and implement architectural projects such as service mesh and RPC standardization.
- Work closely with Compute, Storage, Developer Tooling, and Security teams to ensure service mesh works seamlessly and meets high performance/security standards.
- Improve and maintain the software and infrastructure that your team develops and operates.
- Determine the technical direction for the networking platform while aligning with Reddit’s overall strategy.
- Provide technical leadership by sharing technical expertise within the Transport Infrastructure team.
- 7+ years of experience with large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience working with and/or operating Envoy/HAProxy/Nginx or any other networking proxy.
- Familiarity with networking disciplines, such as load balancers, API gateways, DNS management, HTTP2, GRPC, etc.
- Experience working with container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Deep understanding of microservice architectures.
- Knowledge of an enterprise cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- Hands-on experience implementing and maintaining configuration controls through infrastructure-as-code.
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected].