Who we are
M1 has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our competitors.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $6 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We've been named a 2021 Top Workplace by the Chicago Tribune and listed on Built In’s 2020 Best Places to Work in Chicago. We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What we are looking for
As the team grows, we will increasing need to support them with best-in-class tooling and platform support. This is where you come in.
We’re looking for an engineering leader to drive architecture and infrastructure improvements to our customer-facing Web and API gateway applications. You will interface with product engineers, determining the largest pain points when building features, and addressing them. You’ll work on problems such as:
- How can we design our linting, typing, and testing systems to provide engineers clear, easy-to-address guidance that promotes high-quality code?
- What should our application instrumentation strategy look like? How should we balance having the right logs for any given triage scenario against the practical considerations of working in a high-volume API?
- What should our core abstractions look like that product engineers will consume?
As a Staff Engineer, you’ll take ownership and drive towards solutions to these problems.
- Strong technical background with 10+ years of working across the stack
- Proven track record of making good foundational and architectural decisions that have panned out over years
- Strong sense of empathy for the engineers on the team, and a desire to make their jobs easier and more enjoyable
- Someone who Senior Engineers on the team feel they can learn from. Someone who is deeply passionate about helping other engineers on the team grow
- Participate in interviews for our hires to work out of our headquarters in Chicago, our office in Salt Lake City, and remotely in the US
What you’ll do
- Create a long-term technical vision, and identify short-term paths to make progress towards this vision
- Design and architect robust, developer-friendly systems to encourage high quality code
- Meaningfully contribute to highly technical projects that deliver value
- Have an outsized impact across the org, evangelize best practices, and elevate your team
- Work cross-functionally with stakeholders in product management, marketing, operations, and other engineering teams
It'd be great if you have
- Experience in large production GraphQL APIs
- Experience in consumer-facing personal finance
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement) and five Employee Resource Groups (Mental Health, Pride, Black, Latinx, and Women at M1) , M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym