Staff Backend Software Engineer at Babylist (Remote)
Who We Are
Babylist is the leading destination for baby commerce, where 8 million people each year discover and purchase items to help welcome a new baby. We serve parents and the community of grandparents, friends and relatives around each baby - connecting everyone who helps plan, prepare and shop for the new arrival. From the “add anything from anywhere” registry for new parents, to the expert advice and product ideas for gift givers, there is no more trusted, go-to solution for growing families.
Our Ways of Working
We’re a remote-first company with team members located across the United States spanning multiple time zones, so we put in extra effort to make sure we connect and collaborate in ways that make sense for both the individual and for the business. We care about our work but know that we all care about things outside of work, too. Sometimes this looks like being flexible with our time to log on to a critical meeting and other times, it’s our team being flexible for us to attend to life outside of Babylist. As a remote-first company, personal connection is the foundation for the great work we do together. In order to build those relationships, we meet with coworkers in person two times a year at a full company offsite and a departmental offsite. These are great opportunities to meet the people you work with every day and to do some of the work that is much more difficult to do virtually. Though most of our roles are fully remote, the majority of our leadership positions require limited amounts of travel for in-person meetings throughout the year, primarily to our headquarters in Oakland, CA.
Our Tech Stack
- Ruby on Rails
- Native iOS and Android
What the Role Is
The Staff Software Engineer on the Fulfillment and Operations Engineering team will drive the technical decisions that will scale Babylist’s $200M ecommerce business to $500M+. They will help grow and mentor a team of skilled software engineers building and maintaining a culture of engagement and excellence.
Who You Are
- A high-performing engineer with a strong track record of delivering end to end solutions that drive business growth.
- You thrive in a quickly growing environment and are excited to play a major role in multiple business critical projects.
- You are an expert programmer with significant experience in Ruby on Rails.
- You’re skilled at testing, monitoring and running a production software system and you love to share your approach and best practices with your teammates.
- You can see the value in both building the solution internally and jumpstarting the process by leveraging off the shelf tools. You are focused on defining the best business solution which usually requires a mix of both approaches.
- You have past experience working in small/medium sized startups and thrive on finding the best path between building for now vs. building for the long term.
- Past experience in e-commerce fulfillment or supply chain is a big plus but not required.
- Design and build the systems that will scale Babylist’s supply chain to $500M in revenue and beyond.
- Define and shape the technical solutions that will enable Babylist’s unique gifting platform to be exceptionally cost effective throughout the supply chain.
- Use your experience and passion to level up the skills of the engineers around you. Help define the best practices, approaches, and attitude that further make this an exceptional team to be a part of.
- Provide visibility into the technical investments needed to improve and streamline Babylist systems. Have a deep and broad understanding of how our systems work and define the projects that will make future enhancements easy to implement.
- Take ownership of the hardest and most complex problems that the team faces. Show how these problems can be broken down and solved with incremental deliveries that solve the problem.
Why You Will Love Working At Babylist
- We are a remote first company and invest in infrastructure you’ll need to be supported and successful: tools, opportunities to connect with colleagues, and a stipend to help you set up your office
- We build products that have a positive impact on millions of people’s lives
- We work at a sustainable pace which means work/life balance is a real thing here
- We believe technology and data can solve hard problems
- We believe in exceptional management
- We are committed to providing an actively antiracist organization and doing the work to support differences of all kinds
- We offer competitive pay and meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We have great benefits like company paid medical, dental, and vision, a generous paid parental leave policy, and 401k with company match
- We care about employee wellbeing with perks for physical, mental and emotional health, parenting, childcare, and financial planning
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.