Sr Software Engineer II - Core Storage at Uber
About the Role
We are looking for talented engineers to join the Primary Storage team whose mission is to develop and support the technology storing the majority of the operational data at Uber. We provide manageable, reliable, high QoS database backend ideal for large scale workloads. Together with that we provide the infrastructure that connects real-time databases to the Big Data Platform that powers business decisions at Uber.
What the Candidate Will Do
- Provide technical leadership in architecting and building mission-critical distributed systems which underpin Uber's global operations
- Collaborate with others, from talented team members within your group, through smart technologists across product lines, to responsible leaders across Uber. Build up strong relationships with people in the organization, meaningfully collaborating and building trust
- Be a role model on acting with good judgement and responsibility. Engineers across the organization will look to you on how best to plan and execute on projects
- See the big picture and identify strategically important problems, inefficiencies or opportunities for meaningful improvements. Drive alignment on how to tackle these and deliver high leverage solutions on these at the group and organization level
- Up the bar on sustainable engineering by improving best practices, producing best-in-class code, documentation, testing and monitoring
- Be a humble mentor and trusted advisor for both our talented team members and passionate leaders alike. Deal with a difference in opinions in a mature and fair way, helping teams to commit and move forward
** Basic Qualifications**
- You have deep experience building distributed systems at scale. For example, you know the tradeoffs of different sharding and replication strategies; you can reason about data consistency in a distributed environment; and you know some consensus algorithms and/or at least tried studying Paxos
- You have production experience in supporting large scale database deployments (for example MySQL, or Cassandra)
- You are ruthless when it comes to automation and engineering production systems for reliability and operability
- You have a track record of leading successful teams. You know how to grow and motivate the people around you
- You are customer obsessed and collaborate within and across teams to meet customer needs. You are optimistic in pursuit of the best solution
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents
- You have a passion for raising the bar in how a world-class engineering culture operates
- You're a great communicator, and you follow things through -- you could be interacting with every other product development team within Uber
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.