Software Engineer, Cloud Security at Caribou (Remote)
At Caribou, we’re on a mission to help drivers save money and take control of their car payments. Caribou does this by using technology to unlock low rates, and people to make the process easy and enjoyable. We offer a fully online application and a dedicated team to walk you through the process. We put Drivers in control.
In the last year alone, we grew revenue by 5x and raised a $50M Series B. We’re built by leaders from the technology, automotive, and finance industries, and we’re proud to be backed by a great team of venture capital investors, including QED Investors, Goldman Sachs, Moderne Ventures, Accomplice, Link Ventures, Motley Fool Ventures and others.
About the Role
Caribou is looking for a Software Engineer, Cloud Security who can help us build a DevOps Culture where security is something everyone in the organization thinks about every day. We need help expertly balance solving today’s challenges to enable feature development with investing in forward thinking platform technologies and techniques. In other words we need someone who can implement security tools and best practices in a cloud native environment that are integrated into our internal DevOps/Platform as a Service offering. While also having a pragmatic approach that balances security with business efficiency. The Software Engineer, Cloud Security will be responsible for the following:
- Define architectures for key security components.
- Assist with technical and architectural reviews with an eye toward security.
- Configure and develop custom tooling that secures CI/CD pipelines.
- Utilize Elastic Stack’s SIEM components to develop and implement intrusion detection protocols.
- Automate management of GCP security best practices, and methods to monitor the GCP platform including organizational policies, guardrails, and least-privileged IAM policies.
- Evaluate and implement security strategies for Kubernetes including user management, container policies (ie: Open Policy Agent) and network policies.
- Partner with a cross-team to fortify security in our systems such as authentication, authorization, sensitive data storage, API design and more.
- Partner with the integration team to ensure Kafka security.
- Overall, responsible for designing and implementing the security tooling that will grow with the business.
- Build security tools to automate the management of Kubernetes permissions utilizing Open Policy Agent,K8s Rbac, etc.
- Write custom code to automate private key management and secret rotation so our encryption and secret management exceeds industry standards.
- We’re a Linux shop, so you must be comfortable with Linux terminal.
This role can be based out of Caribou offices in Washington, DC; Denver, CO; Austin, TX. Alternatively, the Software Engineer, Cloud Security may work remotely from a state where Caribou does business. However, this role will require attendance at occasional in-person team meetings. As a result, candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be eligible for this position.
You expertly balance solving challenges to enable feature development with investing in forward thinking platform technologies and techniques. This means bringing equal parts technical mastery and creative collaboration to the role. You most likely identify with many of these qualities:
- 2+ years of work experience in building software.
- Experience actively using Kubernetes and one of the major cloud platforms.
- Experience building high-availability distributed systems and security services.
- Developer background who wants to codify security best practices in code.
- Get excited by Kubernetes containers and the cool architecture they enable.
- Pragmatic approach to security, always looking for ways to automate security.
- Experience with any of these technologies is a huge plus: Open Policy Agent, Sonatype Nexus, Elastic Stack SEIM, ArgoCD, Argo Workflows or other K8s native CI/CD platforms, Kafka, Terraform.
- Experience automating security through code.
- Systems thinker who understands the value of DevSecOps in creating a culture of developer-ownership through automation and infrastructure as code.
- Experience with communicating and coaching stakeholders on security policies and best practices.
- Familiarity with the DevOps pipeline and terraform.
Everyone at Caribou is a valued team member, and we always strive to live up to our value Take Care of Each Other. Our compensation and benefits package includes:
- Competitive compensation: $130-$150k annual salary
- Equity in a high-growth company
- 401k savings program with 3% company contribution
- Generous paid time off including: 20 days accrued PTO per year, 14 annual company holidays, 16-weeks paid parental leave, bereavement leave, and volunteer day
- Robust wellness benefits including company-paid plans for health, dental, vision, mental health, disability and basic life insurance
- Optional benefits to suit your individual circumstances such as HSAs, FSAs, supplemental life and medical insurance, and pet insurance
- Up to $1,000 per year for eligible professional development expenses
We come from all walks of life and are joined together by our shared values, which guide our work. This helps us improve life for our customers, our communities and our team members.
- See people as people
- Take care of each other
- Commit to the mission
- Move quickly and bravely
- Get better every day
- Seek truth
Our Tech stack is not limited to this list but gives you a general flavor of our ecosystem: Rails, Kong, Airflow, Python, Node (NestJS), Typescript,, Postgres, Google Cloud Platform, Argo CD & Workflows, Terraform, Kubernetes, Open Policy Agent, Sonatype Nexus, Elastic Stack, Kafka.
Caribou is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, marital status, military or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. This position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above, and the scope and responsibilities are subject to change. A pre-employment background check is required as a condition of employment.