Software Engineer, Backend Language Tooling at Lyft (Remote)
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
The Backend Language Tooling Team is responsible for empowering product engineers to focus on delivering business value by establishing & implementing reliable, safe, efficient, secure standards for development across all of Lyft. We are heavy users of Python and Go, and own the language implementation ecosystem around builds, dependency management, and release flows.
As an engineer on the Backend Language Tooling Team, you will be responsible for backend language implementation, execution environment, dependency management for libraries and applications. You will partner with hundreds of engineers across the company to champion best practices, support and contribute to industry standard tooling, and fully own the experience of using backend languages at Lyft. Our goal is to provide a seamless experience across all projects.Responsibilities:
- Championing best practices for building and deploying Go services at scale. We use Go at Lyft for our highest scale services like matching.
- Design, build, and maintain to improve efficiency and observability of our Go service framework which powers all Go projects at Lyft.
- Work with product engineering teams to understand their use cases, identify performance issues, and design and build scalable systems to solve for their needs.
- Integrate industry standard tooling across Lyft such as code linters, static analyzers, type checkers, and auto-formatters.
- Collaborate with our partner teams to integrate our tooling into local development and CI workflows.
- Automate large-scale code changes and dependency management to ensure our ecosystem stays current with new technologies.
- Ensure Lyft’s applications are highly observable, and work with our data engineers to make data-driven decisions at each level.
- Develop ideas and shape the roadmap to improve our systems and processes long-term.
- 5+ years of software engineering industry experience.
- Experience developing in Go. Experience with the Go language ecosystem such as using Go modules is preferred.
- Familiarity with container technology such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Take pride in reducing technical debt; your attention to small details and keeping code/configuration clean and maintainable is something you value.
- Value root causing operational issues and implementing systemic solutions and automation to make sure they no longer happen.
- The opportunity to work with the smartest engineers in the industry.
- Professional and stable working environment.
- The latest technology and equipment you need.
- English classes with native speakers.
- Corporate events.
- Family building benefits.
- Weekly team activities, in-office yoga, and much more.
- 28 calendar days for vacation and up to 10 paid days off.
- Spacious office facing the National Library.
- Unlimited snacks and drinks, you’ll never stay hungry with us!