Software Development Engineer in Test
Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission-driven, FDIC insured, and designed for the way our customers live their lives.
A bank for all of us.
ABOUT THE QUALITY ENGINEERING TEAM
Varo’s quality engineering team is still small but is huge in terms of vision, efficiency, and impact. We’re accountable to be a trusted quality partner to deliver the products with highest business value quickly, predictably & consistently.
The Engineering Team at Varo is focused on achieving monumental goals. In our pursuit of becoming the first mobile-centric national bank in the country, so if you are looking for growth join us. Our goal is to repair the stale banking industry and build products that help improve the financial wellbeing of our customers. You will get to work with new technology stacks, be part of a great and diverse workplace, and improve the financial lives of others. In our Engineering team we value personal growth, initiative and ownership, collaboration, and the importance of thinking like an engineer.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Software Development Engineer in Test position is a hands-on individual contributor role that will work in a scrum team of a product and/or with a small group of SDETs and test engineers and will be responsible for all aspects of test automation including white box testing efforts. The role contributes to the success at Varo by delivering the tools and automation driven testing landscape for our evolving platform and applications, as it relates to the delivery of our omni-channel applications.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES THAT'LL HELP YOU BE GREAT
- Apt in test automation development, using frameworks and tools like Junit, TestNG,Jest, Mocha, Chai, including web UI automation tools like Selenium RC/WebDriver framework, Good understanding of REST, gRPC protocols
- Working knowledge of the various types of testing, from functional testing to performance and security testing
- Knowledge of White Box Testing practices, familiarity with code coverage & linting tools
- Familariality using test case management tools like TestRail, Zephyr or SynapseRT.
- Experience in bug management tools like JIRA and any development environments like IntelliJ or PyCharm etc.
- Working knowledge of software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control, build and release processes, continuous deployment, and test suite development and maintenance
- Working knowledge of application software development lifecycle concepts and test environment and configuration management concepts in an Agile and occasionally in a traditional waterfall setting Ability to work in a group setting and collaborate by providing transparency in test results
- Experience working in Agile/Scrum models Ability to critique work of self and others constructively
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiastic and energetic with an inherent curiosity to break code and stress test it!
PREVIOUS SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES THAT'LL HELP YOU BE GREAT
THE THREE SKILLS THAT MATTER MOST
Nobody can be great at everything, but we’re looking for candidates who are extraordinary at:
- Degree in Computer Science with coursework in algorithms, information systems and basic programming concepts is required OR
- Equivalent industry experience for 2+ years in delivering software test automation practices with exposure at the unit and integration level testing OR
- Industry experience for 3+ years as a software engineer building and writing code for various e-commerce and online applications
- Contribute to System test methodologies, test plans and highly effective test automation by creating and executing automated system tests to replicate real-world scenarios
- Write code to simulate tests and to build various testing tools, by working alongside other engineers and championing code quality principles; Deliverables will include code builds and documented test results
- Proactively get involved with product managers right from inception through functional validation to launch, while always looking for potential quality issues/bugs and offer triaging and root cause analysis capabilities to the engineers
OTHER NICE TO HAVES
- Participate in tool analysis, creates proof of concept models, and makes recommendations to support the tools selection process
- Participate in reviews (walkthroughs) of technical specifications and program code with other members of the engineering team, communicating design, requirements, feature set, functionality and limitations of systems/applications to team
- Create and setup test scenarios and test data as needed
- Work with various team to promote QA processes, practices and standardization
Varo launched in 2017 with the vision to bring the best of fintech into the regulated banking system. We’re a new kind of bank – all digital, mission-driven, FDIC-insured, and designed around the modern American consumer.
As the first consumer fintech to be granted a national bank charter in 2020, we make financial inclusion and opportunity for all a reality by empowering everyone with the products, insights, and support they need to get ahead. Through our core product offerings and suite of customer-first features, we aim to address a broad range of consumer needs while profitably serving underserved communities that have been historically excluded from the traditional financial system.
We are growing quickly in our hub locations of San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Charlotte along with colleagues located across the country. We have been recognized among Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Forbes’ Fintech 50, and earned the No. 7 spot on Inc. 5000’s list of fastest-growing companies across the country.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
Our Core Values
- Customers First
- Take Ownership
- Stay Curious
- Make it Better
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney
Instagram - www.instagram.com/varobank
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/varobank
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varobank
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobank
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail [email protected] with the pertinent information and contact information.