Senior Thermal Modeling Engineer at Zipline
Zipline is at the forefront of a logistics revolution: We design, manufacture, and operate our own fleet of autonomous drones to deliver vital medical supplies to people in need within minutes, 7 days a week. Today we deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Be the thermal modeling expert at Zipline, tackling our hardest thermal problems directly, and guiding / mentoring other engineers on thermal modeling topics.
- Build advanced CFD and FEA models of battery thermal and safety systems, motor and inverter cooling systems, charging systems, etc.
- Work closely with test and hardware engineers to design and execute model characterization and validation tests as necessary.
- Apply these models to identify limiting thermal management factors in proposed designs, and recommend design changes to improve thermal performance.
- Work closely with hardware and systems engineers to explore trades of performance, mass, cost, reliability, etc. and identify ideal design approaches that optimize the system.
- Drive to help people and make the world a better place.
- Passion for tackling insanely hard multidisciplinary problems.
- Exceptional collaboration skills and the ability to check your ego at the door.
- 5+ years of experience using FEA and CFD tools to design heating and cooling solutions and evaluate thermal response of electro-mechanical systems with a proven track record of success.
- Expert knowledge of modeling methods for free and forced air cooling, liquid cooling, air-to-liquid and air-to-air heat exchangers, phase change materials, heat pipes, thermo-electrics, and heat generation in batteries, motors, inverters, and other electronic devices.
- Proficiency in CAD and data analysis (Matlab, Python, Excel) to support analysis and model validation activities.
- Excellent communication - written, verbal, and visual. You know how to tailor to your audience with the right level of technical depth
NICE TO HAVES
- Experience modeling battery thermal performance and abuse response.
- Experience modeling refrigeration systems.
- Practical mechanical engineering skills and experience developing hardware for volume production.
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
If you’d like to learn more about Zipline and our teams, feel free to check out our Instagram, one of our Reddit AMA’s, or our website!