Senior Software Engineer, Backend at Reddit (San Francisco, CA or Remote)
Reddit is a network of more than 100,000 communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies and passions. Reddit users submit, vote and comment on content, stories and discussions about the topics they care about the most. From pets to parenting, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit and with more than 50 million daily active people, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
The User Understanding team is a key part of the machine learning strategy at Reddit. The User Understanding team builds systems that serve as a centralized access point for internal partner teams to create, store and serve aggregations and signals about users. It is the team’s responsibility to design and build tools to ensure access and use of these signals respects user privacy. We power ML with real-time, reliable, and ethics-driven user features.
How You'll Have Impact
As the 6th largest site on the internet, Reddit generates 40+ billion events and terabytes of data in a day. You will own projects from ideation to production. We are looking for engineers to join us in solving problems in order to enable products that millions of users will love, and ultimately bring community and belonging to Reddit’s users. We are a team of builders that value impact, personal growth, openness and kindness.
What You’ll Do
As an engineer on the User Understanding team, you will partner with machine learning engineers, data engineers, and product engineers to provide Redditors with controls over what we know about them. You will design and build services that control how we serve signals about users. Your work will power feeds ranking, content understanding, recommendations, and privacy tools.
- Build authentication and serving layers for our feature pipelines
- Design and maintain access controls for internal use
- Collaborate with data engineers, infrastructure engineers, and machine learning engineers to find technical solutions to complex challenges
- Participate in the full software development cycle: design, develop, QA, deploy, experiment, and analyze
- 3+ years of experience writing clean, maintainable code in Python or Go
- 3+ years of experience with large-scale distributed systems
- Interest or experience with anonymization, data encryption techniques
- Familiar with distributed large scale data storage systems like Cassandra and Redis
- Strong design and architecture skills
- Able to take ownership of entire projects and communicate about them
- Passionate about sharing knowledge and growing others around you
- Familiar with large-scale data pipelines and tools such as Kafka, Flink, or Spark
- Experience with authentication systems
- Experience with Kubernetes
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected].