Senior Software Engineer - Android at Samsara (Remote)
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
Samsara is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join the Enterprise Mobility Management team, which is part of the Connected Driver product group. In this role, you will help define the architecture and implementation of our brand new full stack product and shape the future of Samsara’s mobile device ecosystem by contributing to our growing set of native Android features.
This team is responsible for building new features that enable our customers across all industries to easily manage their mobile devices and apps, along with integrating with existing Samsara features to create novel Android integrations to optimize the safety and efficiency of employees. Long term, the team’s north star is to create a native mobile platform that can integrate with Samsara’s existing hardware products across our whole Connected Operations Platform (Fleet Management, Connected Sites, and more).
This team is also responsible for building a world class native Android Software Development Kit (SDK) to enable customers to directly access and integrate data from Samsara into their homegrown apps. This SDK will integrate directly with Samsara’s hardware products and distributed backend systems, providing real-time data streaming for customers to build integrations and apps that are optimized for their ecosystem.In this role, you will:
- Architect, implement, and maintain systems that enable our customers to manage Android devices throughout their operations.
- Build and iterate on new Android applications that integrate with existing Samsara hardware to optimize the safety and efficiency of drivers and employees.
- Collaborate with outside stakeholders to build a robust SDK for use by third party clients and technology partners.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 4+ years of experience building customer-facing applications
- 1 year of professional experience working with Android applications
- Strong experience with either Kotlin and/or Java
- Strong programming/coding fundamentals
- Experience working on large-scale, distributed software applications
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experience working with on Android launcher applications
- Experience contributing to mobile SDKs
- Enjoys understanding users and what would make their day to day processes easier
- Loves the challenge of working on mission-critical applications that operate on real-time data
- Loves shipping high-quality features that are immediately used by our customers
- Seeks to iterate on new products based on customer feedback
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email [email protected] or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.