Senior Front End Engineer at Thumbtack (Remote)
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We're seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we'll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 70 million projects started on Thumbtack
- More than 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 8 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership, and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog .
About the Role
As a Senior Frontend Engineer, you'll focus on bringing the Thumbtack vision to life. You'll collaborate with other engineers, designers, and product managers to execute on a broad range of projects. This could include building exciting new user experiences, optimizing website performance to make our pages blazingly fast, or researching new technologies to improve our frontend stack.
- Drive engineering projects to completion, with a tenacious focus on the business impact of those projects. Skilled at prioritizing tasks to deliver on goals with a sense of urgency.
- Work closely with product managers and designers to create useful and polished user experiences.
- Write incredible new components using React, Redux, CSS Modules, GraphQL, and Typescript.
- Explore new frameworks, languages, and processes while also being able to discuss when (or when not) to use them.
- Mentor a growing team of multidisciplinary engineers on FE standards and best-practices.
- Participate in a culture that values thoughtful code reviews and frequent deploys.
- Mentor others less experienced with frontend technologies
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4+ years of industry experience in web development
- A deep understanding of JS beyond libraries or frameworks (i.e. not just React)
- A familiarity with robust FE tooling to support our growing team
- You know what it means to write high quality, maintainable, testable code, and you enjoy doing it.
- You can break down complex problems rigorously and understand the tradeoffs necessary to deliver great, impactful products.
- You're curious, you're data-driven, you love to ask questions, and you think critically about problems.
- You're comfortable communicating about your work with both technical and non-technical team members, including fellow engineers, product managers, designers, and analysts.
- You love delivering value to your users and your teammates through your work.
- An appreciation for good design, and the desire to translate visual ideas into working, beautiful code
- Full-stack experience - you're comfortable working across the stack and adapting to different technologies.
- SEO/SEM experience
- A love of writing documentation and tests to keep your code maintainable for years to come
- Detailed knowledge of responsive CSS, the box model, semantic markup, and HTML5
- You've owned and driven the development of complex projects or feature areas over the course of several months or years.
- You've demonstrated your ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Benefits & Perks
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and internet
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
- Cell Phone Reimbursement, Thumbtack services (North America only)
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact [email protected] .
*Currently, Thumbtackers can live anywhere in Ontario or British Columbia, Canada or the Philippines or in any of the following US states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, Washington DC. Our long term vision is to hire across all of the United States and Canada, but this expansion will take a few years.