As a Sr. Erlang Engineer at Grindr, the work you do will help to connect millions of queer people everyday! In this role, you will help design robust and durable systems that anticipate failures and allow Grindr users to connect in a safe and fun way all around the world.
Our team is passionate about their projects and the work we do and strongly believe in work/life balance. Given the size of our team, you will have a very influential role both technically and professionally.
What’s the job?
- Oversee the design and development of Erlang-based distributed systems supporting the Grindr platform
- Become a subject matter expert in Grindr’s messaging system handling 40k messages/second written entirely in Erlang
- Help drive and support continued innovation at Grindr
- Prototype and benchmark new architectures
- Ensure high availability, scalability, and fault tolerance of the Grindr platform
- Provide technical leadership and mentor team members
What we'll love about you
- 4+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience developing and operating software written in Erlang/Elixir
- Deep knowledge of developing and maintaining highly concurrent applications
- An understanding of transport protocols and message formats
- Experience working on highly available distributed systems at scale
- Experience with chaos testing and designing for failure
We’ll really swoon if you have
- Experience with XMPP, Ejabberd, or MongooseIM
- Experience using cloud technologies such as AWS (EC2, RDS, DynamoDB, and EKS)
- Familiarity with Linux/POSIX
What you'll love about us
- Global Impact. Grindr is the world-leading LGTBQ+ social networking service. Your role will impact the lives of millions of LGTBQ+ people around the world.
- High Growth. Like the company itself, this role offers significant room for growth and development
- Remote First: We have offices in LA, NYC, SF, Chicago, and Taipei, though the company is set up not just as remote-friendly, but remote-first. More than 30% of our employees work outside the cities where we have offices. Today, we are set up to hire easily in the US, Canada, and Taiwan. If you live outside one of these countries, just let us know so we can make sure we can support you.
- Compensation: Industry competitive compensation, including equity for all employees
- Benefits: Unlimited vacation policy
- Family insurance: We provide great insurance coverage for health, dental, and vision for you and your family.
- Retirement Savings: Generous 401(k) plan
- Other Perks: home-office stipend, many company-sponsored events
Since launching in 2009, Grindr has grown into the world’s largest social networking app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. We have millions of daily users who use our location-based technology in almost every country in every corner of the planet.
Today, Grindr proudly represents a modern LGBTQ+ lifestyle that expands into new platforms. From social issues to original content, we continue to blaze innovative paths with a meaningful impact for our community. At Grindr, we create a safe space where you can discover, navigate, and get zero feet away from the queer world around you.
As of June 2020, Grindr has new owners with a track record of multiple successful Bay Area start-ups. The new leadership is demonstrating a renewed commitment to creating an experience for users that is safe, fun, and productive, as well as a positive & uplifting company culture in which everyone can be their best selves. At the heart of Grindr’s mission in this new chapter is a shared set of core values including transparency, accountability, experimentation (failing fast), and strong allegiance to the LGBTQ+ community.
Grindr is an equal opportunity employer.