By clicking Apply Now you agree to share your profile information with the hiring company.
Founded in 2014, Opendoor’s mission is to empower everyone with the freedom to move. We believe the traditional real estate process is broken and our goal is simple: build a digital, end-to-end customer experience that makes buying and selling a home simple, certain and fast. We have assembled a dedicated team with diverse backgrounds to support more than 100,000 homes bought and sold with us and the customers who have selected Opendoor as a trusted partner in handling one of their largest financial transactions. But the work is far from over as we continue to grow in new markets. Transforming the real estate industry takes tenacity and dedication. It takes problem solvers and builders. It takes a tight knit community of teammates doing the best work of their lives, pushing one another to transform a complicated process into a simple one. So where do you fit in? Whether you’re passionate about real estate, people, numbers, words, code, or strategy -- we have a place for you. Real estate is broken. Come help us fix it.
About the Team
The Pricing Team is responsible for the engineering of quantitative systems and models driving Opendoor’s business. From supporting research on our Automated Valuation Model, and launching those models in production, to building interactive tools that allow us to marry human insight with algorithms, Pricing keeps all of our business lines healthy and growing. Our goal is to enable Opendoor to serve our customers by providing accurate, quantitative assessments of value and risk — which in turn allows us to offer competitive fees and a great end-user experience for buyers and sellers alike.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager who can help optimize our pricing systems to serve both the business as well as our customers. Pricing is at the heart of what makes Opendoor a viable business, and we need expertise in data, machine learning, and tooling to build systems that help us deliver optimal prices to serve our customers and manage towards our P&L. You will mentor and lead teams of Engineers to build sophisticated algorithms, world class tooling, rigorous strategic experiments, and be a thought partner for our data science and business counterparts all while getting first hand experience scaling a complex business and growing an organization. You will lead, manage, and inspire engineers to ship software that solves customer problems. As a hands-on leader with a bias towards action, you’ll help the team fulfill complex technical, operational, and business requirements.
- Help build and lead great software teams to deliver world-class products
- Support and grow your direct reports and peer teams
- Champion engineering and data science, establishing metrics and process for regular assessment and improvement
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to both your team members and your project peers
- Working closely with product and data science, help engineers gain business context, improve prioritization skills, and hone their craft
- Promote an engaged, product-focused, positive engineering culture
- Uncover better ways of developing software by doing it and helping others do it
- BS or higher degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
- Quantitative experience, either via previous job experience or a degree in Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field
- 4+ years of experience building production software systems
- 5+ years managing data related products (ads, recommendations, fraud)
- Fluency in full stack web development (e.g. React, API design, Rails, Postgres)
- Prior experience with data processing technology (e.g. Spark, Hadoop) and workflow management tools (e.g. Airflow, dbt)
- Proven ability to use data and metrics to drive decisions
- History of independently leading cross-functional projects and prioritizing work based on business impact
- Ability to understand the needs of stakeholders, define business requirements, and architect systems that will scale and extend to accommodate them over time
- Expertise breaking down complex problems, documenting solutions, and sequencing work to make iterative improvements
- A sense of ownership and a passion for delighting customers through innovation and creative solutions to complex problems
- Excellent communication skills and high attention to detail
- Experience hiring, mentoring, and leading teams of full stack, backend, and MLEs
For CO Residents Only, and in accordance with C.R.S. Sec. 8-5-101 et seq., the estimated base salary range for this role is $150,000 - $240,000 per year. The estimated range is meant to reflect an anticipated salary range for the position in question based upon market data and other factors, all of which are subject to change. Individual pay is based upon location, skills and expertise, experience, and other relevant factors. For questions about this, our pay philosophy, and other available benefits, please speak to the recruiter if you decide to apply for the role and are selected for an interview.
More About Us
To learn how we are reinventing the Real Estate industry check out our website, to hear about our culture directly from team members visit The Muse and to discover what we are building for our customers read our blog posts.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks
• Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 85% coverage for dependents
• Flexible vacation policy
• Generous parental leave
• Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor Values Openness
Read Full Job Description