Senior Engineer, High-Performance Compute Engineering at Recursion (Salt Lake City, UT)
If you made a list of all the things your perfect job would have, what would be on it? Would it include a mission that truly justified the word “mission?” Would it involve being part of one of the best scientific research and production labs in the world creating petabytes of insight-rich data? Would it be a place filled with smart people all trying to help you do the best work of your career? Would it have leadership that could see an almost science fiction-like future and was looking to you to get there?
Recursion is the clinical-stage biotechnology company industrializing drug discovery by decoding biology. We leverage sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset the Recursion Map, a collection of hundreds of billions of searchable inferences across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias.
The company has been purpose-built to do things that have quite literally never been done before. And while we have resources and an amazing lab, the secret sauce is our people. They are the ones who make big bets and deal in orders of magnitude instead of thinking incrementally, and the result is clear: Eight years ago, we were doing plate manufacturing by hand. Today, we are able to process and scan more than a million experiments every week.
You’ll be joining Recursion at an interesting time, both for the company and for the world. The global pandemic has reinforced in everyone’s mind not only the importance of therapeutics, but also the critical value that accelerating every phase of drug discovery can provide. For most, the notion that “patients can’t wait” is abstract; COVID-19 has made this concept all too real for millions, even billions, worldwide. Every week, you’ll work hand-in-glove with our data and science teams, turning more than a million weekly automated experiments into a map of human biology.
It is an audacious goal, but it isn’t a dream or science fiction. We’re already doing it.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Designs, implements, maintains, tunes and tests/verifies high-performance compute, network and data storage infrastructure and services using IaC approach both on-prem and in public cloud environment.
- Provides technical expertise, leadership and innovation across all layers of the HPC Infrastructure to ensure an effective and scalable platform capable of supporting the dynamic scientific workloads.
- Develops scripts and workflows to automate and test/verify repetitive tasks or tools to enhance support of the HPC environments.
- Performs system and application performance analysis, benchmarking and tuning.
- Troubleshoots and resolves application, system, and other technical problems. Answers and resolves user tickets.
- Researches, deploys and optimizes workloads scheduling, security and data lifecycle management policies for Science.
- Assesses the health and operational performance of the platform against established metrics. Achieves and improves operational service metrics and/or targets associated with the platform.
- Leads technical communication and collaboration with customers and ensures a high level of customer satisfaction.
The Team You'll Join
You will join a growing IT team focused on enabling Recursion to decode biology by providing world class technology services that are designed and fit for purpose. You'll collaborate with your teammates and across departments to agree on what the most important challenges and capabilities are, then figure out how to get us there.
The Experience You'll Need
- Experience (10+ yr) with high performance computing platforms, ideally in global BioPharma organizations.
- Experience with software-defined Infrastructure and cloud computing - GCP, AWS, etc.
- Experience with design, deployment, support and troubleshooting in a complex computing environment.
- Experience with provisioning and managing infrastructure through IaC and cloud automation principles.
- Proficiency with source control, continuous integration, configuration management, monitoring and systems tools.
- Experience with resource management and job scheduling using Slurm and Kubernetes.
- Experience with high-speed networking.
- Experience with parallel file systems and multi-tier file and object storage.
- Experience with container technology including Singularity, Kubernetes and docker.
- Experience building, installing, and supporting user-requested software.
- Strong verbal and written skills for communication and documentation.
- Experience mentoring, guiding and cross training team members.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.