Senior Electrical Engineer (Onsite) at May Mobility (Ann Arbor, MI)
May Mobility is transforming cities through autonomous technology to create a safer, greener, more accessible world. Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, May develops and deploys autonomous vehicles (AVs) powered by our innovative Multi-Policy Decision Making (MPDM) technology that literally reimagines the way AVs think.
Our vehicles do more than just drive themselves - they provide value to communities, bridge public transit gaps and move people where they need to go safely, easily and with a lot more fun. We’re building the world’s best autonomy system to reimagine transit by minimizing congestion, expanding access and encouraging better land use in order to foster more green, vibrant and livable spaces. Since our founding in 2017, we’ve given more than 300,000 autonomy-enabled rides to real people around the globe. And we’re just getting started. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today, solving real-world problems and seeing the impact of their work. Join us.
Onsite employees come into HQ or one of our sites at least 4 times a week and have a dedicated workstation with a monitor, keyboard, etc. This role is an onsite role, based out of Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Your Opportunity for Success
May Mobility is entering an exciting phase of growth and our team is expanding quickly. We are looking for an Electrical engineering Manager to lead a team of electrical engineers while still performing technical tasks within the projects in order to accomplish company objectives. The candidate needs to have a passion for up-fitting existing vehicles with AV technology and compelling rider and safety driver experiences. This role will report to the director of System and Vehicle Engineering.
In this role you will be:
- Responsible for the electrical architectures and designs of the different vehicle platforms
- Providing differentiating technical designs for cutting-edge autonomous vehicle solutions
- Responsible for development and production release of all relevant electrical engineering deliverables
- Participating in quality, safety, project, production, peer, cross-functional,... reviews and ensuring that all electrical engineering deliverables are met.
- Ensuring appropriate technical supplier relationships for all key suppliers.
- Collaborating with other teams such as: Supply Chain, Functional Safety, Cyber Security, Software, Autonomy, Production, Quality, Test and Validation to ensure the product safety.
- Ensuring proper engineering response is provided for new projects and engineering changes.
- Working to source components and identifying suppliers to meet the system design requirements.
- Evaluating and implementing proper electrical interfaces for sensors, actuators, and electrical and compute hardware
- Responsible for System Level Design of electrical systems for self-driving vehicles related to vehicle drive-by-wire, sensor integration, and rider-facing features
- Designing and implementing prototypes of complex parts of the full vehicle system
- Leading continuous improvement efforts, research, recommendations and implementation of enhancements to tools, products, processes and programs.
- Ensuring all necessary engineering documentation and data is generated and maintained to ensure traceability and compliance to applicable company procedures and industry standards and regulations
- Responsible for electrical requirements and their verification at the component and bench level testing.
- Supporting the rest of the functional disciplines with all aspects related to electrical hardware.
- Performing complex work assignments requiring independent problem solving and decision making, requiring strong electrical technical competency
- Following safe work procedures; Use of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE); Use of workplace tools and equipment as instructed; Reporting workplace hazards, injuries and illness as soon as possible.
- Ensuring engineering timing plans, defect / issues lists, risk assessments, lessons learned are created and maintained and providing engineering status for project reviews (e.g. gate, design, milestones, etc.) according to program timing for all projects.
- Supporting all Program Management driven reviews (e.g. Gate reviews)
- Participating in customer and internal technical reviews and in industry associations or regulatory forums as appropriate, to determine the influence of feature road maps and Inform the rest of the organization of any regulatory and standard updates, evaluate the impact on the current business, and provide solutions to meet these standards
- Leveraging excellent communication to advocate for your solutions, working seamlessly across teams, functions and with customers
- Providing technical team mentorship and management support
- Performing other duties as necessary in support of business objectives. Ensures that facilities are in full compliance with all safety regulations.
- Leading the Electrical DFMEA activities
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- At least 5 years of experience in vehicle engineering leadership for hardware products, which includes launching a vehicle
- A Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
- Familiarity with ISO26262 standards
- Excellent communication, documentation
- Proficiency in electrical design and troubleshooting of complex electrical systems
- Proficient with electrical schematic and electrical harness design including the use of various software tools
- Systems-level thinking and ability to create architecture diagrams to meet system requirements
- “Can-do” attitude to problem solving
It is preferred if you have:
- Experience in Autonomous Vehicles, Machine Learning, Robotics, Internet of Things (IoT) or Mobile Applications, Transportation as a Service
- Experience with User Experience and leveraging Design Thinking principles in the product development process
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, or Systems Engineering, Autonomous Driving, or Robotics.
- 3+ years professional experience working on electrified systems, real-world robotic or autonomous driving systems
- Knowledge of automotive repair and maintenance
- Experience working in a startup
- Experience creating solutions that disrupt the market
- A Masters degree in Engineering or equivalent experience
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and/or people of color are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every qualification. At May Mobility, we’re committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workforce, so if you’re excited about this role but your previous experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway! You may be the perfect candidate for this or another role at May.
Want to learn more about our culture & benefits? Check out our website!
May Mobility is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with May Mobility to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. If you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: May Mobility does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, May Mobility does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.