This is an individual contributor role that provides technical leadership, guidance, and mentorship to other highly technical resources. This role leads the design, development, and integration of business applications across the entire software development lifecycle (SDLC) for enterprise wide systems while adhering to CNA standards. This role also provides guidance to others to support the building of technical capabilities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Designs, develops, and tests complex applications according to CNA coding, quality and security standards.
- Independently delivers results, creating value for the CNA brand, customers, and key internal stakeholders. Works with external (and offshore) resources as required.
- Develops code based on business requirements or user stories, of diverse scope and complexities.
- Conducts robust unit testing to ensure deliverables match the design and provides expertise to support subsequent release testing.
- Independently develops, maintains, and provides technical expertise to transfer knowledge, document processes, and create a knowledge base for implementations. Identifies, develops, and implements IT policies and procedures surrounding IT quality and governance and their respective data ensuring proper oversight, security and resilience in area of responsibility.
- Actively adheres to established quality and reliability standards, and ensures team(s) adhere to the same quality and standards.
- Ensures the viability, functionality and effectiveness of essential QA tools (e.g., QA data base, test system environment and software).
- Ensures product quality documentation system by writing and updating quality assurance procedures, and establishing rework standards.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies. Drives the evolution of CNA application development processes and standards.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Preferred experience with the insurance industry, its products and services.
- Solid software development skills developing commercial grade applications.
- Solid technical understanding and experience developing applications using Agile methodologies.
- Strong experience in Test Driven Development (TDD) Methodology.
- Strong and solid experience with development in a pair programming environment and versatility with modern Dev Ops methodologies and tools, such as Jenkins, Concourse CI and/or Gradle, etc.
- Preferred experience in working in API management platforms like Apigee or Mulesoft.
- Knowledge of secure coding principles including OWASP Top 10.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software, systems, and higher level programming languages.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with peers and team members
- Ability to manage projects and lead teams.
- A passion for growing technical skills and solving complex business issues.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline; or equivalent work experience.
- Typically, a minimum of five years of application development experience in an enterprise environment with experience using Agile methods.
- Previous project leadership experience preferred.
- Applicable certifications preferred.