Software Engineer, Security Operations
Are you interested in securing the home for all developers? GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help change the way we secure GitHub. We are looking for Security Engineers to evolve and advance the security posture of GitHub and its ecosystem.
GitHub is seeking a Software Engineer to join its Security Organization. We’re looking for engineers to
secure our platforms to support the scale and complexity of the fast-growing portfolio of GitHub
experiences. You will focus on enabling secure foundations through efforts such as OS hardening to
make sure our infrastructure and products meet our baselines. If you have a foundation in information
security, enjoy using your software engineering experience to automate, and are excited by the idea of
building a secure future for internal and external products, then this might be just the opportunity for you.
● Build security into the DNA of our platform’s operating systems
● Interact directly with the security community regarding security best practices
● Engineer solutions to automate our approach to measuring and enforcing security baselines
across a hybrid environment
● Contribute where needed: from abstract design stages through to line-level on our security baselines
● Write clear positions or internal RFC for challenging technical problems
● Collaboratively define, scope, prioritize, and estimate work
● Offer and receive feedback to grow yourself and the team
● Strong familiarity securing Unix/Linux systems in a production environment
● Strong familiarity with configuration guideline frameworks such as CIS benchmarks
● Track record of building reliable micro services to automate security at scale
● Experience with Python
● Strong understanding of securing containers and their orchestration systems.
● Demonstrable experience with one or more orchestration or configuration management tools like Terraform, Ansible, or Puppet.
● Experience communicating with high-level stakeholders and executing large initiatives in an iterative fashion
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
Minimum salary of $103,600 to maximum $168,400 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.