Principal Software Engineer - IAM (Remote) at Upstart
Upstart is a leading AI lending platform partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. As we transitioned to being a public company, we’re now poised to leverage our domain expertise and revolutionize every aspect of lending and credit risk evaluation. We’ve recently expanded our offerings to include automobile refinancing and we plan to take on more verticals as the business grows.
By leveraging Upstart's AI platform, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. Upstart's patent-pending platform is the first to receive a no-action letter from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau related to fair lending. Upstart not only supports a large remote workforce, but also has offices in San Mateo, CA; Columbus, OH; and Austin, TX.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
As an Identity Platform Engineer, you will enjoy significant autonomy while making a meaningful impact with creative and innovative technical solutions for the Upstart Identity Platform. You will be solving challenges with interesting engineering constraints and building complex features quickly to meet the growing demands of our unique role in the fintech ecosystem.
We’re looking for an experienced Principal Software Engineer to help architect the future of Upstart’s application architecture. You will design and architect large scale systems as we move towards a distributed, large-scale design.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus(#LI-REMOTE)
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per Quarter at the appropriate office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Help lead the engineering team towards better architectural, system and database designs & practices for Identity and Access Management Systems.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to push the boundary of what is possible.
- Move quickly on both existing and greenfield projects, while always keeping our end users in mind
- Help us build our engineering team and make Upstart a genuinely awesome place to work
- Come up with great solutions while we're moving to a microservices and event-driven architecture
What we’re looking for:
- Experience working with full stack web applications in an object-oriented language (Ruby, Python, Java, C#, etc) for at least 10+ years professionally
- 5+ years experience in Identity and access management systems.
- Dedication to mentoring, and implementing best practices for the team
- Solid understanding of database design and distributed systems at scale
- Passion for clean code and architecture and initiative to “level-up” the engineering team with better practices & design
- You are able lead and resolve company-wide technical discussions and are able to collaborate and include input from cross-functional teams (security, devops, data, compliance and product)
- You have a good sense for build-vs-buy and are able to prioritize the highest ROI architectural investments
- Experience with AWS managed services, distributed & event-driven systems is a plus
- Experience with OAuth2.0, SAML, OpenID Connect protocols.
- Experience with authentication and authorization services for CIAM, B2B, B2C, and S2S.
- Experience with Okta is a plus.
What you’ll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Personal Development and Technology & Ergonomic Budgets
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Clubs and Activities (Game Nights, Fitstarters, Superwomen, Book Club, Investing Club, Money Discussions, Photography Club and Basketball teams)
- Generous vacation policy
- 401(k) and Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks
The minimum base pay for this position in Colorado is $177,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Base pay may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. This information is provided in accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay Act. It is specific to Colorado and may not be applicable to other locations.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.