Full-Stack Engineer at CARTO (Remote)
Sorry, this job was removed at 3:07 p.m. (CST) on Tuesday, July 5, 2022
Everything happens somewhere - which is why spatial analytics is fundamental to companies trying to understand the “where” and the “why” of their business. CARTO is the world’s leading cloud-native Location Intelligence platform, trusted by data scientists, data analysts, and developers from companies such as Vodafone, IKEA, BT, Coca-Cola, and Mastercard to provide geospatial insights for use cases such as site selection, geomarketing, route optimization, network planning, and much more.
With an exceptionally diverse team of more than 180 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Insight Partners, Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to perform this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
Since its inception, CARTO has been based on PostgreSQL. This worked well and many of our customers are still using this version of the platform. We saw some limitations with this architecture, and we evolved the CARTO product, adapting it to current market needs. In October 2021, we launched a new version of our platform that provides a fully cloud-native experience, extending the spatial capabilities of the leading data warehouses platforms: BigQuery, Snowflake, Databricks, and Redshift.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a Senior Fullstack Engineer with previous experience in geospatial to join CARTO’s professional services team and build the next generation of geospatial apps running on top of the most popular data warehouses: BigQuery, Snowflake, DataBricks, Redshift, and Aurora.
Some our current challenges are solving problems like: design high scalable platform to calculate optimized routes of pipelines over terabytes of spatial data and hundreds of constraints in seconds, predict revenue for simulated stores in a whole country applying ML techniques, or process, aggregate and enrich billions of transactions across the globe to serve them in a real-time application.
The position is open to remote, preferably Central European Time zone. In fact, we are mostly working remotely right now, but we do have offices in Madrid and Seville in Spain. If you work remotely, some sporadic trips to Seville will be required from time to time, to gather with your coworkers or to attend some relevant events. In any case, no more than 5% of your time.
- You will work with the most relevant spatial visualization technologies. Be ready to talk with top geospatial engineers from companies like Microsoft, Uber, Google, Nvidia, etc.. CARTO developed the MVTLayer to move Deck.gl from layers < 1GB to unlimited.
- Push BigQuery, Snowflake, Databricks, and Redshift to the limit. You’ll also really understand the internals of these data warehouses.
- Be part of an amazing team, really motivated and willing to address new challenges which have not been solved before (for example, define a standard to work with huge spatial-temporal datasets).
- You will work on several projects for our customers, being part of a team that includes roles like backend engineer, frontend engineer, data scientist, designer and project manager. You’ll be responsible for awesome solutions that take huge datasets and turn them into geospatial insights.
- Because Professional Services is the first client of the technology built by CARTO, you will have regular meetings with the frontend/backend team on the product side to get feedback and propose improvements.
- Initiative, a can-do attitude, and eagerness to learn! Curiosity, energy, and a collaborative mindset (code reviews, pair programming, promote teamwork, succeed together).
- Good knowledge of the GIS industry, 4+ years working in geospatial as a developer, with a mature approach to the job (git, documentation, testing,...).
- You’ve worked before with Python, NodeJS or Typescript (or you’re really willing to learn it).
- Experience in any Frontend side framework like React, Angular or Vue.
- Need to be super fluent with SQL and Spatial SQL.
- A skilled communicator, and you are good at English.
Nice to have
- Previous experience with Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake, or Databricks.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or AWS
- Provable experience with open source geospatial stack. You should have played before with some of the following technologies (not required all of them!): PostGIS, GDAL/OGR, Shapely, GeoServer, PgRouting, GeoPandas.
- Base salary starting at 40K + bonus
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment
- Education stipendFlexible compensation
- English classes
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we’re sharing it with the world.
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients.
Provide us your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest. Be sure to let us know why you’re a great match for this role and for CARTO!
Diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, age, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or check our product, follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).
More Information on CARTO
CARTO operates in the Big Data industry. The company is located in New York, NY. CARTO was founded in 2012. It has 157 total employees. It offers perks and benefits such as Disability Insurance, Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits, Health Insurance Benefits, 401(K) and Employee Stock Purchase Plan. To see all 3 open jobs at CARTO, click here.
Read Full Job Description