Engineering Manager (Remote)
By clicking Apply Now you agree to share your profile information with the hiring company.
Bestow is the leading digital platform for life insurance. As both a direct-to-consumer destination and an infrastructure provider, Bestow is on a mission to make life insurance accessible to millions of underserved families.
We ideate fast, embrace change, and take risks. As a rapidly growing tech startup, we look for the best talent out there and try to stay out of their way. From scaling our business model to expanding our offerings, the day-to-day at Bestow offers endless professional growth opportunities. The people who succeed here look for problems and solutions. They are both passionate about their ideas and open to having their mind changed.
In the end, we value the same things our customers do: family. So we strive for work-life balance and believe happy employees make for better experiences and happier customers. It’s a model that helped us land the #2 spot on Forbes’ Best Startup Employers 2021 list. Boom!
Bestow is seeking an Engineering Manager for our Enrollment/SDK Team. This platform team builds and maintains the TypeScript library that is powering the next iteration of our direct-to-consumer and partner-facing enrollment clients. Insurance applications can have multiple question paths and part of what helps Bestow offer insurance to a wide audience is updating those questions often. This team is taking lessons learned from our existing efforts to build a library leveraging functional programming patterns to give us that flexibility and accelerate our future product launches.
Engineering Management at Bestow is based on two primary responsibilities: People and Software Delivery.
You accomplish business goals by building a high-performing, high-leverage engineering team. You can create an environment for your team to be highly motivated and engaged. You are successful when your team is fully staffed and equipped with the right skills and growing careers.
You will help develop core practices to manage effective software delivery, such as decomposing and scope work in achievable increments. You constructively push back on work that is under-scoped or unattainable deadlines.
Open to Austin, TX, Dallas, TX or Remote (US) #LI-Remote
Your Day to Day Leadership Attributes
- Your team delivers software at a predictable schedule and sustainable pace
- Helping your team resolve bottlenecks and blockers and work collaboratively across teams
- Communicating proactively on delays of the estimated delivery
- Facilitating and contributing to architectural conversations
- Cultivating a successful team aligned to company culture
- Performing regular talent reviews and collaborate with engineers on professional development roadmaps
- Coaching and mentoring your team, including weekly 1:1s
- Recruiting for your team by sourcing talent and interviewing engineers
- Identifying and craft improvements to engineering practices (ex. interview process, code-review process)
- 2+ years of engineering management experience
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent self-study
- Well versed in modern SDLC methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban, and aligned to the agile principles
- Experience with both dynamic and strongly-typed languages (we use Python and Go)
- Experience with relational databases (we use PostgreSQL)
- Experience with Cloud Hosting providers (we’re on Google Cloud Platform)
- Initiative and motivation to make things happen
- Competitive salary plus stock options
- Performance bonus
- Generous PTO
- Flexible schedule and work/life balance
- 100% company-paid health, dental, and vision insurance
- Office snacks and weekly team lunches
- Team building events and activities
We value diversity at Bestow. We hire, recruit, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. We understand the importance of creating a safe and comfortable work environment and encourage individualism and authenticity in every member of our team.
Bestow does not sponsor applicants for work visas at this time.
More Information on Bestow Life Insurance
Bestow Life Insurance operates in the Insurance industry. The company is located in Dallas, TX and Austin, TX. Bestow Life Insurance was founded in 2016. It has 184 total employees. It offers perks and benefits such as Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits, Health Insurance Benefits, Life Insurance and Mental Health Benefits. To see all jobs at Bestow Life Insurance, click here.
Read Full Job Description