Engineering Manager at Duolingo (New York City, NY)
Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC, English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test, and even Math.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
The Duolingo app has over 100 courses teaching languages ranging from Spanish to Chinese to Klingon! We rely on sophisticated in-house tools and new technologies such as generative AI and automated feedback systems to build learning content at scale. We continuously work to improve the quality, speed, and cost of content creation through our tooling.
We are seeking an Engineering Manager to co-lead our tooling team and shape the future of educational content creation. You’ll collaborate with people across various fields and lead a team of software engineers to deliver impactful improvements to the tools that power Duolingo’s language learning courses.
- Define a vision and roadmap for content creation tooling and processes
- Collaborate with AI researchers, designers, program managers, product managers, and pedagogy experts
- Shape key decisions about architecture and implementation of our tools
- Own the planning, execution and success of sophisticated technical projects.
- Experience in developing and leading a software engineering team and setting technical direction.
- People management skills, proven track record of mentoring and coaching team members.
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience implementing large web-based applications
We invest in and support our Duos! This role is eligible for a robust compensation package of base salary, equity, and Duolingo’s world-class benefits. The starting base salary range for this role is, $174,900 - $335,600. Actual salary may vary based on level, work experience, performance, and other factors evaluated during the hiring process.