Engineering Manager (Netherlands) at Archipelago Analytics (Remote)
Who we are:
Archipelago Analytics is a fast growing start-up working to revolutionize the quality of commercial property risk data and how it can be leveraged. Archipelago was founded in 2018 by tech and finance entrepreneurial veterans with previous leadership at RMS and Apple. We are an internationally diverse and remote-first company headquartered in San Francisco with additional offices in London, New York, India, and the Netherlands.
Who you are:
Archipelago is seeking an Engineering Manager to join our growing team in Enschede, Netherlands. As an Engineering Manager you will help lead a squad of frontend and backend engineers. We’re a small team distributed around the US & Europe, with headquarters in San Francisco. We iterate quickly, build for the long term, and are looking for smart, independent folks who want to ply their trade with like-minded people.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable working collaboratively, across teams & timezones, and helping us define our platform culture. You’ll have a significant impact, since the product & team is in its early stages. You’ll have a full team to support you, from research and design, through planning, development, deployment, delivery, and iteration.
For this role it's expected that you can travel to our office in central Enschede (close to the station) as the team does come together there to collaborate on architecture, design, and planning. We can also only hire candidates who can be resident in the Netherlands for this position.
- Lead a team of frontend and backend engineers.
- Ensure quality and timeliness of shipped software.
- Recruit, build, coach and mentor team; reinforcing development best practices
- Be hands on enough that you can define architecture, contribute to code reviews, and ensure the health and scalability of Archipelago platform.
- Develop effective partnerships and collaboration with other teams at Archipelago.
- 5+ years of SaaS application development experience
- 4+ years of experience managing a team or technical leadership
- Strong written and spoken communication in English and Dutch.
- Experience working on high-performance technical teams and software engineering projects
- Experience designing, building and debugging distributed systems on the Amazon AWS platform
- Familiarity with software engineering standard methodologies (e.g., design patterns, peer code reviews, unit testing)
- Strong track record of leading and delivering projects
- Experience writing technical specifications and design documents
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in a dynamic start-up environment
- You know how to communicate clearly no matter the medium: on Slack, task trackers, video calls, emails, in person, etc.
- Strong desire to learn about new technologies and systems
- Excellent time management and organizational abilities
- Experience building software in the insurance, real estate, or finance industry
- Experience with Golang, React, PostgreSQL, GraphQL
We offer benefits regardless of where you are in your career. We believe that providing our employees with the means to lead healthy balanced lives results in the best possible work performance.
- Company Equity Program
- Education and Enrichment
- 25 vacation days
- Mental Health programs
- Off-Archipelago - ½ day off every second Friday of the month
- Remote office reimbursement
- Team Offsites
*All benefits are subject to change at management’s discretion.
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, pregnancy, religion, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law.