View All Jobs
Do you believe that software development is a craft? Do you want to build technology that improves the lives of millions? Do you thrive on leading development teams to create quality user experiences that delight users, create value, and are delivered on time? If this sounds like you then you may be the Engineering Manager we need!
Moving is one of the most universally relatable problems. Everyone has moved at least once and everyone thinks moving is painful. Updater is solving that pain at scale. We’re a well funded and growth-focused company, with technology that touches nearly 50% of all household moves in the US annually, and we’re growing quickly.
As an Engineering Manager at Updater you will be responsible for managing a group of teams that deliver our core mover experiences. Blending hands on leadership, sound judgement, great system design, and a level head under pressure, you will be responsible for bringing the Updater’s product vision to life. You will have to balance API delivery teams with frontend build teams, at the same time as leading other managers to deliver exceptional outcomes. Above all you believe success is from impactful releases that move the business forward.
About the Role
- Lead the development teams for our core mover applications including desktop and mobile web experiences as well as native applications and also the associated API and service layers
- Responsible for the delivery of the core product roadmap
- Collaborate daily with Product, internal stakeholders, and other engineers to design and build APIs and frontends to support all aspects of the business
- Collaborate with architecture and infrastructure teams for the product(s) you own
- Take responsibility for planning and execution of business-critical products
- Oversee talent acquisition and development including building out and incorporating new teams
- Manage development teams, hire talent, and bring their experience to bear on the rate and quality of software delivery.
- Empathy: you strive to see the world from your stakeholders’ point of view in order to anticipate their needs and can balance this with the point of view of your teams
- Humility: you have an opinion, but aren’t afraid to be proven wrong, and are open to suggestions on what tool or technique is best to most efficiently solve a problem
- Strong Communication: you’re as comfortable talking with our Product team as you are talking to our individual engineers
- Comfort with Ambiguity: you’re used to being asked open-ended questions and working with unknown issues during the development of products
- You have deep experience leading multiple engineering teams either as a manager or technical leader
- You have had ownership for the development and operation of a highly scaled, consumer facing software product
- You have a strong foundation from engineering or programming roles and use that experience to influence and analyze design decisions
- Your belief in collaborative decisions leads to better outcomes and allows you to create impact beyond the scale of your teams
- You agree that the best path to an outcome requires investments in people, process, and product and you are constantly evaluating new approaches to your work
- You possess a healthy balance of quality and sense of urgency!
- At least 10+ years in software development with at least 4+ in a management role
- You have been in a leadership role responsible for the hiring of new talent
- Strong understanding of technical performance metrics in a web environment
- Experience deploying native mobile applications to production through Google Play and App Stores
- Worked closely with QA and DevOps teams to produce effective processes relating to developer experiences.
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly forward mail, transfer utilities, connect TV and internet, and much more. Thousands of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $200 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater ranked #3 on Crain's 2016 Best Places to Work in NYC, ranking as the highest-rated tech company on the list, and ranked #7 in 2018. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.