Director, Serverless DevOps (USA REMOTE) at Turnitin
When you join Turnitin, you'll be welcomed into a company that is a recognized innovator in the global education space. For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Over 16,000 academic institutions, publishers, and corporations use our services: Gradescope by Turnitin, iThenticate, Turnitin Feedback Studio, Turnitin Originality, Turnitin Similarity, ExamSoft, and ProctorExam.
Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Our diverse community of colleagues are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in education. Come join us, and let's make change together.Job Description
We're seeking a Director, Serverless DevOps to lead a high performing SRE/DevOps team to build and scale fault-tolerant systems and services in our infrastructure across Turnitin. This role will partner with cross functional leadership across the organization to establish strategic plans and objects.
The Director, Serverless DevOps will be responsible for Turnitin’s AWS first infrastructure involving a variety of core services that will be shared across our entire product line. The position collaborates cross-functionally with engineering, product and worktrack teams to deliver solutions that support our strategic company goals using innovative AWS Serverless technologies that maximize productivity and help our company grow.
Responsibilities include managing all aspects of our serverless infrastructure, ensuring KPIs are met, owning compliance controls and maintaining a global view of the systems reporting up to the Vice President of Infrastructure and Technology.
- Responsible for managing the teams that deploy, monitor and maintain the serverless production environment taking a holistic view of system health and ensuring our platform is reliable, stable and balanced.
- Collaborates with Peers and team to define, develop and implement best practices and procedures.Influences and assists the definition of the longer term strategy for serverless technology.
- Defines quarterly roadmaps for the team and manages KPIs for the organization including performance, velocity and uptime analysis.
- Cost management and analysis to identify areas of cost optimization and reduction, holds the key relationship with our serverless supply chain and vendors to ensure optimal use of resources and the supplier relationship.
- Grow technical understanding of the stakeholders in and around the team.
- Collaborates with departments across the organization to solve complex business problems.
- Own key controls across all compliance frameworks.
- Provide technical leadership and architectural oversight as necessary.
- Analyzes and utilizes quality metrics across infrastructure projects
- Promotes a healthy culture, shaping and evangelizing engineering standards and best practices to improve team productivity.
- Role models openness and transparency, sharing your opinions and speaking up when you think we could be doing something better than we’re doing it now - tactfully and empathetically to communicate continuous improvement opportunities.
- Mentors, coaches and develop the careers of a talented group of engineers
- Provides development opportunities for the team to broaden and enhance their skill sets, working with the team to ensure they have individual development plans to stretch and grow their skills
- Identifies opportunities for improvement by challenging the status quo and defining alternative and creative solutions
- Stays up-to-date with new tools and strategies, bringing recommendations for change and innovation to leadership for consideration as part of the broader strategy.
- Ensures the team has great communication across the organization and are up to date with the vision and mission of the company.
- 3+ years hiring, managing and mentoring engineering staff
- Strong AWS serverless technology experience to help transform and accelerate our AWS first strategy
- 3+ years experience building and architecting highly scalable infrastructures using AWS serverless technologies (e.g. Lambda, DynamoDB, API Gateway)
- Strong knowledge of IaC (Infrastructure as Code) such as Cloudformation and Terraform
- Experience with pipeline based SDLC CI/CD automation (e.g. Jenkins, AWS CodePipeline)
- Experience working and collaborating with teams across multiple time zones and geographies.
- Experience working collaboratively with cross-functional Agile teams.
- Excellent organizational communication and leadership skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proactive working style with the ability to adapt to change.
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
- Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
- Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
- One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
- Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it’s unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you’re willing to learn and evolve alongside us, join our team!
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.