Director of Engineering, Next-Generation Fulfillment at Instacart
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Introducing Our Hybrid Working Model
As the future of work evolves, so do we. We have a hybrid model where our roles are open to in-office, flex, or remote work. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
The Fulfillment Marketplace system sits at the core of Instacart. Our engineering team builds technology to best match demand with supply and powers our logistics engine. Our system supports millions of shoppers on the Instacart platform through mobile and web experiences by offering immediate and flexible earnings opportunities, and must be highly reliable at all times. A major aspect of the team's success is to find the efficient frontier between service availability and fulfillment cost, all the while providing the best customer experience.
Given the combinatorial explosion of possibilities needed to solve the vehicle routing problem of fulfilling groceries, our system needs to handle billions of computations and find the best solutions in near real-time, and it heavily relies on real time and fast moving data, adapting to the dynamic nature of customer demand, available inventory, and shopper supply.
Instacart’s goal has always been to support grocers and give retailers of all sizes an edge in an increasingly competitive industry, while creating a seamless experience for customers and shoppers. With Instacart next-gen fulfillment, we’ll integrate leading software and robotics solutions - like those from Fabric - with our own technology and shopper community to create innovative new e-commerce services that help our retail partners better compete while serving the needs of customers.
To be successful in this role, you should have extensive experience in building a world class team by recruiting and retaining the best engineering talent in the industry. You must be deeply technical and data driven, with a strong business instinct. In addition, you are an expert in stakeholder management and strategy communication. You will help strengthen the engineering culture and refine a process that will shape the future of the team.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Lead and drive our software engineering and machine learning teams building the systems that serve as Instacart’s engine
- Continue strengthening the technical and people leadership of a fast growing engineering team
- Work cross-functionally with Product, Design, and Senior Leadership across the company
- High energy and scrappy engineering leader with previous experience scaling large teams in late stage, hyper growth startups
- Technically respected and inspirational leader, with a deep network of talented engineers/managers, who can recruit and build teams quickly
- Proven track record of getting things done.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills with ability to influence and collaborate with senior cross-functional leaders across the company
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field, and/or relevant experience
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.