GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising industry. The company’s contextual advertising engine, Verity™, comprehends the meaning of text, images and video online, allowing marketers to safely and precisely place ads where people are most engaged. Combining that contextual targeting and brand safety intelligence with proprietary high-impact ad formats, GumGum’s advertising solutions deliver industry leading efficiency, accuracy and performance.
We are looking for a mid-level DevOps Engineer to help us scale our always-evolving cloud infrastructure to the next level. The centralized DevOps team at GumGum is responsible for the infrastructure that underpins the Advertising products that serve GumGum clients and are critical to GumGum’s operational and business success.
The DevOps Engineer II will write infrastructure-as-code, improve system monitoring, build POCs to test the limits of new tech, enforce security best practices and contribute to designs for systems that serve 25 million RPM and produce over 50 TB of data per day. This role works extensively in AWS, Terraform, Docker and Kubernetes. You should be comfortable on the front line, own small to medium components of our systems autonomously, and be able to make data-driven decisions and recommendations to improve our highly distributed systems.
Please note, GumGum is only open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and MN.
- Maintain the health, stability and security of our high-traffic production and dev environments
- Standardize our CI/CD environments
- Detect and triage emerging problems in production
- Configure and automate the provisioning of Amazon Web Services resources
- Ensure high reliability and availability of our auto-scaled "Big Data" systems
- Create and maintain monitoring solutions and instrument applications to provide insights into application performance and to understand emerging issues
- Continuously identify and methodically improve cloud infrastructure for all systems through best practices and continuous process improvements
- Work with AWS (EC2, ECS, EKS, S3, RDS, ElastiCache, VPC, Route53, CloudFront, CloudWatch), Terraform, Kubernetes, Helm, Ubuntu 18/20, Docker, Ansible, Packer, git, Jenkins, Drone CI, Harness CD, Kafka, Tomcat, Nginx, MySQL, Prometheus, Grafana, Alert Manager, OpenVPN
- Collaborate regularly with cross-functional teams including all Media/Advertising teams (Ad Server, Web Engineering and Data Engineering) to build upon existing products, brainstorm creative solutions for new products, and to share technical learnings with each other.
- B.A. degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science is preferred
- 2-5 years of work experience consisting of:
- 2+ years of DevOps experience required (5+ years if missing relevant degree)
- 2+ years of experience with AWS is required
- Proven track record (1+ years experience) supporting a 24/7 production environment with scale in the dozens of nodes is required
- Strong scripting skills - you are familiar with common Unix commands and are comfortable writing scripts that utilize the AWS API (like Python w/boto3)
- Thorough understanding of Infrastructure Engineering technologies such as AWS VPC networking, TCP/IP, NAT, firewalling, VPN, cloud-based load balancers, storage, monitoring, security best practices
- Able to design and setup CI and CD workflows (Jenkins, Drone CI, GitLab CI, Spinnaker, AWS CodeDeploy)
- Linux administration fundamentals (Ubuntu, Redhat, Amazon Linux)
- Kubernetes experience in production at scale is a plus
- Open-source contributions are a huge plus
Benefits & Perks
- Medical Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Vision Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Dental Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employer-Matched 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Stock Incentive Program (role dependent)
- Paid Parental Leave - Birth parents can receive up to 16-18 weeks for birth recovery and baby bonding. Non-birth parents can receive up to 10 weeks for baby bonding
- Transitional Return-to-Work Schedule
- Modern Family Support: Cleo App
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal and Identity Theft Protection
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- WFH Stipend
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Flexible Time Off
- Veterinary Discounts
- WeWork Monthly Pass
- Pet friendly organization - We love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- A team that has transitioned to remote work impressively, and remains highly collaborative and connected
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Virtual company events and (optional) in-person celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
- Anniversary recognition and awards
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- The VOICE Coalition - through our council committee, The VOICE Coalition’s mission is to build an equitable, supportive, and inclusive culture where all voices are heard and all differences are celebrated through thoughtful, engaging, and authentic programming and community involvement. We’ve created awareness and appreciation for our employees through Hispanic Heritage month, Women of GumGum, Asian Pacific American, GG Pride, etc.
Optional return to office: Our big vision for our futuristic “Farmhouses” in 2022!
- Offices will now be referred to as the “GumGum Farmhouse” -- a futuristic space centered around a bigger purpose: flexibility, sustainability, community, and growth!
- GumGum will continue to be a flexible/remote-friendly environment, however, offices will re-open in 2022 for any employees who choose to come in to collaborate, participate in an event, host your clients, contribute to our growing of plants/herbs/vegetables/etc.
Thoughtful…We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external)
Agility…We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
Grit…We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum expands globally! Our company recently acquired JustPremium, a European-based company that utilizes creatives as a means to develop digital environments. JustPremium’s rich media is one of the largest in the world, and brings forward higher performing ads that adds value to GumGum’s already thriving contextual intelligence. With this acquisition, we now have 375 + employees globally, as well as new market expansion including Germany, France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, and Mexico. Together we will become the most powerful global solution for a cookieless future through contextual technology and high-impact creatives.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum