Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world’s most renowned research institutes.
As a Detection and Response Engineer at Benchling you’ll be joining a team responsible for building a best-in-class security program from the ground up. Our focus is on providing value to the organization by emphasizing real world security and embracing automation to keep up with the company as we experience hyper-growth. We’re looking for engineers who are excited to apply their expertise to our mission of securing some of society's most sensitive data.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Investigating security events across the organization using your experience and knowledge in multiple security domains (log analysis, digital forensics, or malware analysis).
- Creating, deploying and maintaining high signal threat detections based on your understanding of threat actor TTPs.
- Architecting a highly scalable incident response process by developing, applying and refining automation for steps of the Incident Response life cycle
- Coordinating cross functional incident response during security incidents, assisting partner teams during non-security incidents
- Researching new detection mechanisms for attack vectors and techniques relevant to our space and presenting findings to both internal and external audiences.
- Evaluating external tooling, developing new automation and tooling.
- Helping to rapidly scale our team. As a member of the security team, you'll be an integral part of how we mature our own tooling, best practices, engineering processes, and hiring.
- 5-10 years of Detection and Response (Detection Engineering, Digital Forensics, Incident Response, and/or Threat Intelligence)
- Strong communicator with both words and data - you have experience communicating to a wide variety of stakeholders under varying conditions
- Experience as an incident responder responsible for leading large scale incidents
- Technical leadership skills (you enjoy being a tech lead, mentoring technologists, evangelizing security and privacy)
- Ability to lead complex and major projects in ambiguous situations through influence and not authority.
- Practical experience with attacker tactics, techniques, and procedures
- Comfortable with complexity in the short term but can build towards simplicity in the long term
- Relevant development experience in at least one scripting language, preferably Python
- Plus: Contributions to the security community via talks, papers, blogs, projects, CVEs, etc.
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Yearly educational stipend
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.